Electrical Weird turn signal issue

Electrical Weird turn signal issue

JimsCJ5

Active Jeeper
Gold Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 Renegade 258, t-18 pretty much stock except for a later model aluminum intake manifold and Gronk 2150.
Trying to get the turn signals working again. I've replaced the headlight switch (original), turn signal switch (broken) and hi/lo switch (broken) and checked the bulbs. My turn signals work in the rear and corners but not the fronts and here is the weird part, when the headlights are on. The indicators on the speedo both light up and don't flash. Weird right? Any ideas? Also if the lights are off and the turn signals working the left front will dimly flash when the right TS is on. The Jeep may be possessed...

I had issues with mine - and I had to swap a couple connections on the front signals. Unfortunately I don’t remember what I did. As always, verify your grounds as well. If I remember correctly my wiring issues were at the front side markers....... sorry this post is useless....... more of a “you’re not alone “ thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to get the turn signals working again. I've replaced the headlight switch (original), turn signal switch (broken) and hi/lo switch (broken) and checked the bulbs. My turn signals work in the rear and corners but not the fronts and here is the weird part, when the headlights are on. The indicators on the speedo both light up and don't flash. Weird right? Any ideas? Also if the lights are off and the turn signals working the left front will dimly flash when the right TS is on. The Jeep may be possessed...

You're going to need a young priest, an old priest and a virgin goat...

Shum8 is right, it's probably a ground issue. What's really strange with the wiring in the CJs is that the AMC engineers did some odd things with the grounds. The front corner marker bulbs (above the wheel wells), are grounded through the front marker lamps. And because that's a dual filament bulb, if the lights are on, it runs through one filament, if the lights are off, it runs through the other.

Do you have a good schematic? There's a decent fold out one in the back of the Hanes and Chilton's manuals.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks