Warn Spare Tire Carrier + High Lift Jack?

Warn Spare Tire Carrier + High Lift Jack?

jzak

Old Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5/258 4.2L I6, Tremec T-176 4-speed, Dana 300, Power Steering, Howell Throttle Body Injection System, Warn Locking Hubs, Warn Rock Crawler front/rear bumper with Tire Swing Carrier, Full Roll Cage, Pro Comp ES9000 shocks
Hello,

I just installed a Hi-Lift mount which attaches directly on the lug nut bolts of my Warn spare tire carrier (The one that swings open). With the weight of my 33" spare tire, and now that Hi lift jack, am I running the risk of breaking the warn carrier?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Josh

So I contacting the seller of the mount, and they said contact Warn. When I contacted Warn they said NOT to do it. That it maybe too heavy for the carrier.

I did some research, and my Warn carrier is rated to handle a load of 150 pounds. The Jack with mount weigh about thirty pounds. I have trouble believing that my 33" spare tire is more then 120 pounds.

Should I not be concerned out this, or is there some other issue i'm not aware of?

I really appreciate any help you guys can offer!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-03-13 at 12.03.42 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-03-13 at 12.03.42 PM.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,122
I think you should be concerned. I don't think you will break the carrier as much as bend it. Since you will be putting an excess load on the bearing mount area, especially combined with additional loads from trail riding, as in bouncing around. You could mount more hold down locations for the carrier from the rear fenders. If you look a Jeep tire carrier with Blitz gas can mounts you will notice a more secure mounting system for the additional weight. You might want to try climbing on top of your spare tire and forcing it up and down to see how it holds up.

Remember, there might be extra load handling capacity, but your not dealing with just static weight. Your tire will be bouncing around back there creating a substantial load.

.. Ask warn if their system is trail rated or mall rated. Follow advice already given and I would just find a way to mount jack differently if I was worried.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is really getting annoying guys! I bought the jack mount on Ebay from a top-rated off-roading seller. Even the product description says:

"HI LIFT JACK MOUNT FOR SPARE TIRE CARRIER JEEP TIRE SWING OUT"

I am using this mount exactly the way it's designed to be used. I'm probably putting maximum 110 pounds (Jack + 32" Tire) on a carrier that is rated by WARN to handle 150 pounds.

Now everybody's posting negative stuff on my thread, making me think that my jack is going to break off at 50 mph and probably kill somebody.

I'm sorry, but i've gone over the tolerances here, and I simply don't see any reason why this is dangerous.

That said, you guys are still giving me second thoughts here. Please convince me why this is a bad idea!

Thanks for any help!

Here's the product link:

Aluminum Hi Lift Jack Shovel Mount for Spare Tire Carrier Jeep Tire Swing Out | eBay

Last edited:
If you are 40lbs under the max I don't think you should be worried about it IMO

Agree with mtnwhlr, you weighed tire and jack=110 lbs… Warn rates @ 150..sounds like your in the clear…. The mount, it is what it is, regardless of who sells it. IMO, run it. Keep your eye on it as the rest of your jeep before ,during, and after each outing. Now, if your really worried, get a STAY BACK sticker like you see on dump trucks:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk

Agree with mtnwhlr, you weighed tire and jack=110 lbs… Warn rates @ 150..sounds like your in the clear…. The mount, it is what it is, regardless of who sells it. IMO, run it. Keep your eye on it as the rest of your jeep before ,during, and after each outing. Now, if your really worried, get a STAY BACK sticker like you see on dump trucks:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback! I'll put this on the back of my CJ tomorrow: :D

Attachments

• stay-back-100-feet-sign-OCE-14287_300.gif
    stay-back-100-feet-sign-OCE-14287_300.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 859
Last edited:
So I contacting the seller of the mount, and they said contact Warn. When I contacted Warn they said NOT to do it. That it maybe too heavy for the carrier.

Please remember, YOU posted the statement above. WE are responding on what the tire carrier manufacturer had to say. I don't believe the mount will break, but it is possible that the Tire carrier will wear out far earlier than it should. Warn does not want that.

So, load'er up and go do what you want. The tire carrier isn't likely to just crack off and fall on the ground. But, dont' bad mouth Warn for their tire carrier breaking.

Thought maybe seeing the mount on my Jeep might help!

[/url]

Ok, what to do is mail me your setup and I will send my tube bumper with broken receiver . I will then use your setup for the following year and field test all of this. :D I will even cover shipping on both our packages. Looks good , I wish I had a full size spare to mount to a carrier I don't have either. Happy jeeping

That is a nice looking set-up. I'm sure Warn was just covering themselves for the possibility, though small it might be, of premature failure.

If you don't mind me asking, Where did you get the mount?

Well, as if this needed more comment...

A - I think you'll be fine. You're at 73% of manufacturer's recommendation and if they have any sense they rated it at 150 to cover themselves knowing 200 was probably fine based on their tests.

B - The cable setup shown in one post can be made to lace through the bumper as well so that IF it were to fall off (which it won't) then you would merely drag the stuff a bit as opposed to it bouncing in someone's windshield. A situation causing it to come apart would only be on the trail anyway where speeds are likely low with no close followers.

Last edited:
Well, as if this needed more comment...

A - I think you'll be fine. You're at 73% of manufacturer's recommendation and if they have any sense they rated it at 150 to cover themselves knowing 200 was probably fine based on their tests.

B - The cable setup shown in one post can be made to lace through the bumper as well so that IF it were to fall off (which it won't) then you would merely drag the stuff a bit as opposed to it bouncing in someone's windshield. A situation causing it to come apart would only be on the trail anyway where speeds are likely low with no close followers.

Well, one more comment… lmao, 007 drove it home case closed homerun and elvis left the building. I have always wondered why food doesnt spoil on the date stamped! Manufactures always under rate products for a reason. This is my last post on this thread I promise;):D

I believe he mentioned the mount came from EBAY.

Thanks for the Feedback guys! I also agree that Warn is just covering their buts. As you said, companies will always underestimate the limits of their products, so the don't get sued, if they're wrong.

When I contacted Warn about the weight issue, they said don't do it, and then tried to get me to buy one of their own WARN mounts instead.

@Hedgehog Thanks for the comment. I still think it's a nice mount. It's well built and solid aluminum, so it wont rust. Except for the center bolt which isn't aluminum and is already showing some surface rust. I added a link to the seller on ebay, if you want to check it out:

Aluminum Hi Lift Jack Shovel Mount for Spare Tire Carrier Jeep Tire Swing Out | eBay

Last edited:
Shortly after getting my first CJ back in '82 (it was a '77) I remarked to my best drinking buddy and auto guru that I came with the Warn hubs. He said "Better replace 'em then"
15 years later... I finally got the joke :rolleyes:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks