Tracks on the snow

Tracks on the snow

Grizz

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
None
I live in Alaska and was interested in putting tracks but dont know anything about them. From what I've read they require more power but I dont know how much is enough. I plan on using them over snow and boggy areas but will also be into mud and sand on the beach.

I did a search and surprised I didnt see anything on them. Are they a bad idea for CJ's?

I've never had or used any personally. I have two buddies that have used them, and here's my thoughts based on their experiences:

1. They don't like rocks, dirt, or anything else besides snow (think airing down tires for rocks; not so with tracks). Can handle a little, but too much is asking for damage.
2. They work best on flat ground. The less off camber the better. Great for accessing cabins, etc on snowy roads.
3. Be prepared for odd suspension and steering behavior.
4. Tracks have their own sets of issues. Flipping over, broken wheels, incorrect tension causing odd tracking... When they work they're hard to top, but it would be helpful to be able to work on and maintain them yourself...including field repairs.

Sounds like a lot to contend with, also a lot of maintenance. When I was a kid we had one of these dealerships down the road. I remember this thing being pretty loud with a diesel. 60EEEED9-65B2-40C9-B96B-882B446778B8.jpeg

On all the off road areas around here, tracks will be much better and I'm not the type to beat up my toys or even push them to their limits, I just want them to do their job which in this case is hunting, fishing, prospecting, camping, dragging trees/firewood, etc... I've seen countless SxS around here with tracks and people love them. A CJ is pretty much the same size, maybe even smaller in some cases..

Anyway, hopefully someone on this site has first hand experience with them

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks