Towing

Towing

kjkorina

Jeeper
Thanks
Not sure if this is the right area to post this in but i have a towing question.

I'm thinking about getting a small pop up camper that i can pull with my 79 CJ5. Any thoughts on the max weight? Also has anyone done this before?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

the smaller the better as far as towing it safely, but I think the "rating" would be about 1500 lbs.
Also depends on your setup. Lift, tires, gears, engine, total weight of cargo/passengers, all make a difference. As does driver experience.

A CJ5 has a short wheelbase and for that reason isn't a good tow vehicle. It would do better if the Cj isn't lifted and doesn't have oversized tires. Those things can cause some flex that might lead to handling issues when towing. Also it's best to have the ball hitch close to the rear bumper. If you have a dropped receiver hitch or any other set-up that moves the ball back might also cause the trailer to pull on the CJ.

Thanks for the input guys. I am still looking for a pop up camper guess if I find one that ends up being too heavy to be manageable I will have to tow it with the truck instead.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom