Misc. Tools

Misc. Tools

CJJP1984

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7
Getting my CJ back from the shop this week after getting a few things done that I couldn't do in my own garage; exhaust and lift. Planning to start some updates this weekend. I have a small ratchet set, that is pretty basic; maybe 50 pcs.
Thinking about upgrading to a more comprehensive tool set. I don't have a lot of space for a big cart of tools. Just a 'brief case" or box set. I've seen multiple sets. My thought is more is better in terms of number of pcs; just to be safe.
Anyone have any opinions experience on what brands or sets are better than others?

thanks
-jeff

Since I have a Lowes near me, I use a lot of Kobalt stuff (Lowes store brand). Lifetime warranty (5 years on some stuff - like tape measures) and easy access/returns when needed since the store is nearby and on my way to/from work. For Limited space, this is a good 243-piece set:

Kobalt Box Set

v6n6-e2zh20.jpg

DeWalt has some decent kits and they sell at both home Depot and Lowes. As well as Amazon and if u have prime everything is warrantied

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

My buddy got me these for Christmas a couple years ago for road trips. Nice size and has most everything needed. Matco 101 piece. Real nice quality metric and standard and 1/4 and 3/8 drive ratchets. Short and long sockets.

Attachments

• B0B5EE7E-0CB2-4919-91B2-E6232AA5A015.jpeg
    B0B5EE7E-0CB2-4919-91B2-E6232AA5A015.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 178BB0E1-9077-4F63-B45E-181755934E6B.jpeg
    178BB0E1-9077-4F63-B45E-181755934E6B.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 12
  • FA069F21-9A20-4180-85E5-F194BCF1E6FE.jpeg
    FA069F21-9A20-4180-85E5-F194BCF1E6FE.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 12
My buddy got me these for Christmas a couple years ago for road trips. Nice size and has most everything needed. Matco 101 piece. Real nice quality metric and standard and 1/4 and 3/8 drive ratchets. Short and long sockets.
That is a nice kit but I can guarantee you that is is. 500+ dollar kit

That is a nice kit but I can guarantee you that is is. 500+ dollar kit

Think he said they were usually around 4, but the Matco guy had several that he wanted to unload, at the end of the year and he bought them dirt cheap.

Make sure you get a volt meter and box of band aids.

Any of the pre-boxed "mechanics" tools sets that range from $299 and down from Kobalt (Lowe's), Husky (Home Depot), Craftsman (sold at Lowe's), Klutch (Northern Tool) or Pittsburgh Tools (Harbor Freight) are all basically the same. You can read reviews online for days and days, and it really just depends on the person writing the review as to which one they like better.

The facts are that all of the tools are going to be made in either China or Taiwan. They're all going to have basically the same tools in the kit, and they're all going to offer some sort of Limited lifetime or lifetime warranty.

If you want made in the USA, you're going to have to look to Matco, MAC, Snap-On, Cornwell, there are a few others, but these kits get very expensive very quickly.

In my opinion, get whatever brand has the most convenient store to your place. That way if/when you need to replace tools, the store is close-by and it's not a 3 hour trip to replace a broken ratchet, for example. For a shade-tree/DIY mechanic, any of these brands offer a decent tool kit at a decent price. As others have said, a multimeter is a very useful tool for troubleshooting electrical gremlins, I would also say to buy a vacuum gauge kit, they really help with diagnosing carburetor issues.

Pretty hard to beat that !

Get a test light (led) great for figuring out if u have power and ground. Also great for finding a short by disconnecting one side of the battery putting the test light between the terminal and post then pulling one fuse at a time to find the circuit it's on. That thing has saved me countless hours looking for shorts

Get a test light (led) great for figuring out if u have power and ground. Also great for finding a short by disconnecting one side of the battery putting the test light between the terminal and post then pulling one fuse at a time to find the circuit it's on. That thing has saved me countless hours looking for shorts

I agree, but if you do a lot of electrical work you may want a power probe. Its my go to DC trouble shooting device. There are many versions available from basic to WOW!!

pp.jpeg

I agree, but if you do a lot of electrical work you may want a power probe. Its my go to DC trouble shooting device. There are many versions available from basic to WOW!!

View attachment 75640
I have started looking at these. On a realistic basis how high did you go on the WOW range? Did you go to $75ish or did you go much more?

I have started looking at these. On a realistic basis how high did you go on the WOW range? Did you go to $75ish or did you go much more?
Well, I do a lot of rewiring and touble shooting of vehicles and some industrial equipment (kinda one of my specialties) so I have a pretty complicated kit, but they all work great... :chug:

Not to take away anything from CJ's comment about the power probe, but I prefer a multimeter, usually available in the $20-$30 price range. When troubleshooting wiring electrical issues, sometimes your not just checking for power, but bad grounds, corroded connectors, resistance in/through a sensor, etc. Having a multimeter that can measure voltage (check for power) but also measure ohms (resistance) and continuity through wires/connectors is a must have. On Amazon (and other places) there are plenty of inexpensive options (like these in the $25 range).

meter_1.jpg meter_2.jpg meter_3.jpg

Any more, I just hit the pawn shops. If you have a little time and know what tools you are actually going to need, $100 will get you a really decent collection of quality USA made stuff. There used to be a lot of decent USA made tools. For Craftsman, the apex in quality was the Moore Drop Forge-Easco era-the "V' markings-late 60's early 70's, with or without the part number. Wright was always good (and still is if you can afford it), SK, Proto, Lectrolite, even the USA made Thorsen. Just about all my trail tool kits have followed this path. No chinese allowed.

Don’t forget the venerable wire tracing combo used by Telcos: toner and sniffing probe.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks