Suspension To weld or not to weld

Suspension To weld or not to weld

b3uhbp

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7, 258, T5, Dana 300, Dana 30' AMC 20' Weber 32/36 carb, DUI HEI ignition, 2.5" suspension lift
To Weld or not to Weld

I replaced the suspension on my 84 CJ7 with an OME 2.5” lift. Love it, BUT, the rear spring hangers are bolted on like original. The original hangers were welded on by the PO. I’d like to get opinions as to whether I should weld them as well. This Jeep is for street and mild trail. I hear some popping when I go over uneven ground and I suspect it’s movement at the spring hanger. Thoughts?

Spray the springs with silicone lube.
Check the torque on the axle U bolts.
Mine are welded.....

The factory welded and riveted the spring mount bracket to the frame, but bolted the shackle mounts. And yes, lube is necessary for the bushings to reduce weird noises.

Excellent info. Thanks Do you think I should weld the rear shackle brackets?

For the sake of serviceability, do not weld them.

To Weld or not to Weld

I replaced the suspension on my 84 CJ7 with an OME 2.5” lift. Love it, BUT, the rear spring hangers are bolted on like original. The original hangers were welded on by the PO. I’d like to get opinions as to whether I should weld them as well. This Jeep is for street and mild trail. I hear some popping when I go over uneven ground and I suspect it’s movement at the spring hanger. Thoughts?
How many miles have you gone sense installing said lift? Ive found the ubolts need to settle before they become tight. ( you have to flex the springs a bunch then torque them down again ) this isn't always the case though.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks