THE TJ's SUCK

THE TJ's SUCK

cfgraneto1118

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ 5: 258 inline 6 cylinder (4.2L); T18 factory installed four speed transmission; front dana 30 axle, dana 20 spicer transfer case with a dana 20 axle.(I now know that this was originally a Levi Straus Edition.)
Doing a buddy a favor for his 50th birthday....Working on a TJ is like trying to wrangle feral cats....2001 TJ with less than 60,000 miles on it. Said to my buddy, " No problem. We will put in a nice two inch OME lift kit, swap out the rear bumper for a smittybilt SRC bumper with a swing out tire carrier, pull those old "sport" steps off and replace the with some decent smittybilt XRC rocker guards with steps...." Everywhere i undo a bolt rust and rot. This thing is twelve years old. My CJ, I know it was in California, had 80 percent less rust and corrosion, and it had sat on a farm for ten years and had never been driven.
Took off the skid plate, and man oh man, there was, if you were lucky, thirty percent of the frame left. The box frame was reduced to an overhead "C-channel" with rust fingers and whole running between the the body mounts...Fergie's TJ  915 copy.jpg

What are my options?

This is the first thing that comes into my mind. :D

Attachments

• TMCNEWS.NET 003.jpg
    TMCNEWS.NET 003.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,126
That's just the Rust Belt for ya. If you don't wash constantly it's going to rust. A 15 year old CJ wouldn't have a frame left driven the same as that TJ.

Going to fabricate a sleeve to repair the frame rot. Looked at the "replacement parts". Way too expensive for what they actually are. And I disagree with the comment about "the TJ and The Cj" if driven for the same amount of time. The steel used in 2001 is not the same quality as the stuff they used to make real Jeeps out of. I had my entire body off my CJ and the steel was thirty five years old. Loving my CJ now! Hatin' on the TJ
:chug::chug::chug::chug:

Fergie's TJ  919 (1) copy.jpg

This is absolutely unacceptable!
:mad:

[QUOT. And I disagree with the comment about "the TJ and The Cj" if driven for the same amount of time. The steel used in 2001 is not the same quality as the stuff they used to make real Jeeps out of. I had my entire body off my CJ and the steel was thirty five years old. Loving my CJ now! Hatin' /QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your friends TJ.Seems to me like there may be a little more to this story.I think maybe it has more to do with where it had been then what type of steel it was made from.As you can see in my info I have a couple early cj's and a very nice TJ. I really don't think all TJ's are worthy of your hate. MIKE:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom