Engine TH400 & BW Quadratrac behind a 258 in a CJ7?

Engine TH400 & BW Quadratrac behind a 258 in a CJ7?

JRM

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 Renegade, 258, 5spd.
In a CJ7 is it possible to fit a TH400 (amc version) and Borg Warner Quadratrac 1339 behind a 258? Not asking for opinions on the Case itself - I have my own based on experience in SJs. I have an 83 CJ7 project vehicle with a 258 and a T5 and would kind of like an auto/quadratrac setup in it but don't really want to switch to a V8 engine to do it if I don't have to. I have the trans and Tcase and wondering if there was any precedent to this swap even though I know this was never offered from the factory in this combination.

Are you going to need to do a rear axle swap to accommodate the transfer case ? Its been years since Ive owned one ( had a 79 in the 1980s ), but I remember the pumpkin sitting way over on one side because the transfercase rear out put shaft/drive shaft was over on one side, not the center like everything else... or at least I look into that..

Are you going to need to do a rear axle swap to accommodate the transfer case ? Its been years since Ive owned one ( had a 79 in the 1980s ), but I remember the pumpkin sitting way over on one side because the transfercase rear out put shaft/drive shaft was over on one side, not the center like everything else... or at least I look into that..
Forgot about that, the output is offset.. Duhh...

I've seen someone put a drive shaft in after going from a Quadratrac to a regular transfer case. Looks funny and have no idea if there's any vibration, But it can be done.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom