Temperature sending unit

Temperature sending unit

Jsooter

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 CJ7, 258, T-176
I have the valve cover off to replace a leaking gasket and have decided to replace the temperature sending unit since it is not working 100% (I've bench-tested the temp/fuel gauges and they work great with a resistor).

Since the sending unit is grounded through the head, should I use teflon tape or thread seal...or nothing? Will tape or thread seal interfere with the ground?

I imagine that the threads would cut through the tape enough to supply a ground, especially if I only put tape on the top 1/3 of the threads.

Any words of advice?

Thanks!
Jerry

It is probably debatable but I would think you will make better electrical contact without the tape or any sealant. To make sure your head is grounded correctly you could run a #10 wire from someplace like the coil mount to the battery negative terminal. Cast iron is not a terrific conductor of electricity, spark plugs like a good ground also.

I have the valve cover off to replace a leaking gasket and have decided to replace the temperature sending unit since it is not working 100% (I've bench-tested the temp/fuel gauges and they work great with a resistor).

Since the sending unit is grounded through the head, should I use teflon tape or thread seal...or nothing? Will tape or thread seal interfere with the ground?

I imagine that the threads would cut through the tape enough to supply a ground, especially if I only put tape on the top 1/3 of the threads.

Any words of advice?

Thanks!
Jerry

I use copper anti-seize on any threaded part that carries current. That includes plugs, grounding wire bolts, terminals on gage backs and the like. It serves a dual purpose: good current passage and won't lock up and require more muscle that is appropriate to remove.

I found an interesting page on a Corvette site. They took ohm readings with:

a) no tape
b) 3 turns of tape
c) 20 turns of tape

The difference between the three readings was minimal (less than 2 ohms at room temp).

Their conclusion was: "The chances of teflon tape affecting the gauge reading are remote - the pipe threads are very sharp, and cut through the tape with little effort"

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks