Trans T5 gearbox oil

Trans T5 gearbox oil

Acejeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj7 4.2 in restoration atm
Hi what oil is everyone using in the T5 gearbox 1084 CJ7, been told l can use ATF fluid is this right

Hi what oil is everyone using in the T5 gearbox 1084 CJ7, been told l can use ATF fluid is this right

I had the same question when I rebuilt my T5. If you follow the Borg-Warner service guide it gives a part number for a fluid that is not made or available any more.

CJ's thread was where I started, but you'll notice everyone has a differing opinion regarding what T5 fluid works best. I then compared this thread with some discussions on other Jeep forums and the commonality I found was Penzoil was mentioned on all and no one had anything bad to say about it, so that's what I went with.

I cannot say how it worked from my experience as I have sold my T5 and replaced it with an AX15. I hope at a minimum this helps you not have to get lost in the weeds of reviewing Jeep forums about T5 fluid like I did.

75W-80 syn gear oil.
No ATF....
Gary

75W-80 syn gear oil.
No ATF....
Gary

Agree with LG, the other common theme I consistently saw was, “do not use ATF”.

You can use it in the World Class T5 variant, but sadly the Jeep variant it Non-World Class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pennzoil Synchromesh

GL4 gear lube. Do not use GL5. GL5 does not replace GL5. I had to educate the guys at NAPA about that; they insisted that GL5 was "improved" over GL4. They have, in fact, different chemistry and GL5 isn't appropriate for any of these older gearboxes... especially not manual transmissions with brass synchromesh.

GL4 gear lube. Do not use GL5. GL5 does not replace GL5. I had to educate the guys at NAPA about that; they insisted that GL5 was "improved" over GL4. They have, in fact, different chemistry and GL5 isn't appropriate for any of these older gearboxes... especially not manual transmissions with brass synchromesh.

I had the exact conversation with the folks behind the counter at my local NAPA yesterday. I asked if they had any GL4 gear oil in stock and they looked at me weird. Then I asked if they had any gear oil safe for manual transmissions with brass synchros. The lightbulb seemed to turn on and they gained my confidence back...until they handed me a jug of synthetic GL5 that read in both bold and italic: "not suitable for transmissions with brass synchros"

The hunt continues for a local place to avoid shipping costs...

Factory recommendations for the light duty T5 transmission,
Synthetic 5w-20
5w30 or 30w were acceptable fluids depending on climate.

I had the exact conversation with the folks behind the counter at my local NAPA yesterday. I asked if they had any GL4 gear oil in stock and they looked at me weird. Then I asked if they had any gear oil safe for manual transmissions with brass synchros. The lightbulb seemed to turn on and they gained my confidence back...until they handed me a jug of synthetic GL5 that read in both bold and italic: "not suitable for transmissions with brass synchros"

The hunt continues for a local place to avoid shipping costs...
Order Part #: SL SL24229 have it ship to your local Napa for free pickup.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SLCSL24229

Posi-
Do you have any links for that oil recommendation in the Jeep T-5?
TNX,
Gary

I typically don't save links, I'm sure you could find some of this stuff if you did a search.

Factory Part # in 1984 was 89 83 000 000
Superseded by part # 4549636
Superseded by part # 4874464
The T-5 fluid must meet specification SM 9224
Shell owns Pennzoil
Pennzoil supplies Mopar
Mopar part # 4874464 is,
Pennzoil 3501 = synthetic 5w-20
Amsoil synthetic manual synchromesh transmission fluid 5W-20 meets SM 9224.
Prior to 1991 5w30 or 30w is acceptable fluids for the T-5 depending on climate.

SM 9224 is a GL4 5w-20 Manual Transmission lube

Pennzoil Synchromesh
hole is using the correct factory recommended lube as it falls under the SM 9224 specs as listed above (Pennzoil 3501 GL4 5W20)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnz-3501
or,
https://www.amsoil.com/p/manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30-mtf/?code=MTFQT-EA

Again, factory recommends lube that meets specification SM 9224 for the T5 transmission, (GL4 5W-20). Prior to 1991 5w30 or 30w is acceptable fluids depending on climate.
I'm not telling folks what lubricant to use, only what the factory recommends.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey Posi can you do that for the T176 ? Just got rid of my T4 and going with a T176 when I get it in. Seems like i saw a Couple for it.

Hey Posi can you do that for the T176 ? Just got rid of my T4 and going with a T176 when I get it in. Seems like i saw a Couple for it.
FWIW, I am running 50w oil in my T176. Factory says 80w gear oil but it gets cold in the winter and 50w seems to cause less stress to my transmission in the cold.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

As Scout mentioned the factory manual recommends GL5 85w90.
However, the T176 has yellow metals therefore should fall under the same SM 9224 requirements as the T5.

I’ve used 50w in my T18 in the past however, using motor will discolor the yellow metals. Bright yellow metals will turn a darker smoked color, this is not harmful and can be cleaned with mineral spirits.

Again, you can use 5-30w (winter) or 30w (summer) non-synthetic, or GL4 non-synthetic as well.

TNX Posi for the details. :notworthy:
My search foo is poor, as I couldn't find anything about using 5W-20 etc.
Gary

Hypothetical,
If a owner took his CJ with a T5 into the dealership to have the transmission serviced they would use factory recommended fluids. They would use Mopar part # 4874464, the fluid in that container is Pennzoil 3501 synthetic 5w-20.

The only thing that is delusional in the above hypothetical is that a dealership would ever work on a CJ transmission of any kind.

Apples to oranges comparison for what it's worth.

Using Amsoil Manual synchromesh transmission fluid 5W-30 in my 1984 CJ7 with T4 Transmission.
Their website calls out the same for the T5.
Safe for brass synchros.

Running Redline MTL in my 01 Jeep TJ with NV3550 manual transmission, also with brass synchros.
The T4 in the CJ7 & Amsoil shifts smoother with less noise... Like butta!

Don't know how much the gear oil has to do with it but I'm planning on sticking with the Amsoil going forward.

FWIW, Modern Driveline recommends either Amsoil Dexron II synthetic for "most T5" transmissions, or for the non-World Class T-5 they specifically list Lucas synthetic 50 Wt truck transmission oil. O'Reilly's can order it, part 10146, in 1 gallon jugs.

FWIW, Modern Driveline recommends either Amsoil Dexron II synthetic for "most T5" transmissions, or for the non-World Class T-5 they specifically list Lucas synthetic 50 Wt truck transmission oil. O'Reilly's can order it, part 10146, in 1 gallon jugs.
As long as it contains no molybdenum disulfide, or any other form of molybdenum, which actively corrodes brass. Its MSDS isn't forthcoming about what it contains, which makes me suspicious.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks