Trans T14 rebuilt transmission won't shift into third/downshift

Trans T14 rebuilt transmission won't shift into third/downshift

jrozanc007

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5
I have a 1974 CJ5 rebuild project coming to an end. It has a new clutch and a rebuilt T14 transmission (new gears, synro's, bearings, etc..). I have not replaced any of the shift plate/forks hardware. After a few test drives (less than 2 miles on the rebuildt) I've noticed the following:

While engine running:
  • Shifting into R, 1 and 2 no issues.
  • Unable to downshift. Almost need to come to a complete stop going from 2 to 1
  • Unable to shift into 3rd gear completely.
While engine not running
  • Sometimes/sometimes not it goes into third but its a hard shift.

In another message board I recall reading a 'blurb' that there is a procedure for disassembly/reassembly. The gear shift has to be in 2nd in order for things to work correctly when reassembly. Is this true? I'm pretty sure that naive me from 5 years ago just made sure the syncro aligned with the forks (regardless of the shift settings) and re-assembled it.

Any thoughts? Help!

Might give Novak a call

Supposedly at one time they had a set of instructions available, but the word around the campfire was that they were vague and outdated

I'd almost bet they could diagnose over the phone

I saw this post with pics about rebuilding a T14 and some "gotchas" to watch for: T14 rebuild
Thanks. I pulled the shift cover off, it looks ok. Once the new gasket comes in the mail, I'll have another go at it. If it is still giving me problems. I may have to have it rebuilt again. This time by a professional rather than a buddy who knows more than me. :-|

My T-150 was doing almost the same thing after rebuilding it. Check your clutch might need to adjust it more. Few turns and it started acting like a new transmission should.

I added a bit more gear oil, manually ran both carriers back and forth, and reassembled and it shifts better. The clutch is also new as much as everything else minus the core engine. The rebuild has only 4 miles on it so your comment about clutch adjustment/break-in may have some truth to it.

Generally speaking, does anyone know if you are supposed to be able to downshift from 2nd to 1st with the three-speed? I don't get much range from first gear, so I thinking it's not possible even when increasing engine RPM before trying to engage the downshift.

~~~
Generally speaking, does anyone know if you are supposed to be able to downshift from 2nd to 1st with the three-speed? I don't get much range from first gear, so I thinking it's not possible even when increasing engine RPM before trying to engage the downshift.
Technically they are syncroed in forward gears so yes, 2nd to 1st should be no problem but as the brass rings wear over time it can become more difficult. Double clutching is always a good thing though... :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom