Misc. Stock '74 CJ5 throttle linkage question

Misc. Stock '74 CJ5 throttle linkage question

Grumpa

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ5, 232ci, three speed, dana 20.
The pic. below is from the 'net that I pulled a few days ago. I wish I could see the backside of the carb. to get a better idea of what I need to get there.
I don't know what happened to my old Jeep and why it's not like that anymore but I'm running the stock carb. now and want to get my linkage sorted.
The ball circled in red I have, the one circled in blue, I do not. I need what's in the blue circle. I don't have a pic. of mine (maybe later) but it's far enough out of line with the linkage that it makes for a very stiff throttle.
Anyone know if this is something that is bolted on or does my carb. have the wrong carb. linkage on it? Any help is appreciated.
1692460214515.jpeg

Are you missing just the ball or the entire bracket that the ball is attached to? Easy enough to just add the ball if that's all you're missing. 8mm throttle balls with threaded studs are readily available:

Speedway Motors
Jegs
O'Reilly Auto

If you need the entire bracket, there's a current listing on eBay where a guy has a number of them apparently. eBay Bracket Listing

Are you missing just the ball or the entire bracket that the ball is attached to? Easy enough to just add the ball if that's all you're missing. 8mm throttle balls with threaded studs are readily available:

Speedway Motors
Jegs
O'Reilly Auto

If you need the entire bracket, there's a current listing on eBay where a guy has a number of them apparently. eBay Bracket Listing
As you can see in the pic. of my sloppy set-up, the ball is there just not far enough away from the carb. to line it up with the throttle cable. It binds as it tries to pull it at an angle.
20230819_150433.jpg

Ah, I see. Your bracket on the carb with the lower ball the throttle cable is attached to is not the same as in the earlier pic you pulled from the web.

Dumb question - shouldn't the throttle cable be on the upper ball and the lower ball on the secondary bracket (where your throttle cable is currently) be for a kick-down cable when you have an auto trans, or not used with a manual trans?

If that's wrong, then you really need a mod to the bracket the cable clips into (where the square part is clipped in), or you need the ball on the carb extended out to line up the cable where it's at. A threaded post (some all thread cut to length) would accomplish the latter pretty easily. But if it were me, I'd rather move/modify the bracket to scoot it over and in-line (if the cable will reach). Cut a piece of scrap or weld an extension to what you have to accomplish that.

Ah, I see. Your bracket on the carb with the lower ball the throttle cable is attached to is not the same as in the earlier pic you pulled from the web.

Dumb question - shouldn't the throttle cable be on the upper ball and the lower ball on the secondary bracket (where your throttle cable is currently) be for a kick-down cable when you have an auto trans, or not used with a manual trans?

If that's wrong, then you really need a mod to the bracket the cable clips into (where the square part is clipped in), or you need the ball on the carb extended out to line up the cable where it's at. A threaded post (some all thread cut to length) would accomplish the latter pretty easily. But if it were me, I'd rather move/modify the bracket to scoot it over and in-line (if the cable will reach). Cut a piece of scrap or weld an extension to what you have to accomplish that.
The way I understand it, the upper ball is for the earlier/later "pull-down" style of throttle linkage shown in the photo below. And yes, I need the steal bracket or the proper carb. parts to make it right. I thought of just putting one of those long ones on or using a small coupler to extend it out but then the side load on the ball would be too great and possibly lead to other issues.
Honestly, I'm beginning to think I have the wrong carburetor for this Jeep. It's what it came with so who knows what the PO did with it?
1692556032163.png

Yea. Good point on the "pull-down" style. Sorry I've not been much help on this. My earlier CJs all had V8's in them, so different carb/setup altogether. My current one is the only one that had the I6 and I pulled it for an engine swap and EFI.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks