Steering Sticky while turning

Steering Sticky while turning

Mpainter74

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 cj7
Just picked up a 1983 CJ7, body and engine are in great shape. My question on this Jeep is in the steering. It almost seems sticky at times when you turn and other times it is smooth as silk. Ball joints and tie rod end seem good as well. I am not overly mechanical but can figure most things out if given enough time and cuss words to use. Wondering if it could be bearings in steering column or in the power steering itself? Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Steering while holding the foot on the brake can give you that sticky feel. That’s normal.

Certainly tie rod ends and drag link end. Steering gear box could be culprit, but seems less likely based on my experience. Another thing to check would be the steering damper. Easy test. Pull it and test drive.

Have you ck'd the PS oil level?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks