Misc. Stick with Steel or go Plastic Fuel Tank?

Misc. Stick with Steel or go Plastic Fuel Tank?

NotTJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 258 T150 D20 D30 AMC20 33" Yoko MT
Well...we sprung a leak on the stock steel tank. I can get a galvanized Dorman tank or I can find a plastic. Any reason to stray from another steel? Probably outlast me I would think. If I go plastic what is the go-to brand? I think I have a 15 gallon because it doesn't hang down too bad.

I’ve had both. Original was metal 15. Then I went with a metal 22 long range for many years. After many years of service and also dragging a few times and not needing the longer range anymore I went for a 15 plastic. Worked well again for many years. Last year I installed fuel injection. Went with a Holly EFI and Holly in tank fuel pump. Went back to metal and noticed the plastic was a little warped. :cj7:

I have had both, a 15 gallon metal and a 15 gallon plastic, in different Jeeps. The plastic warped over time and was harder to seal the top where the sending unit is mounted. I prefer the steel. I also have fuel injection like Belizean stated and use an in-tank pump with my 15 gallon steel tank. No issues at all.

Thanks folks. I found that there is a metal tank that is also galvanized. Thats best of both worlds for me. Won't rust inside and outside is painted anyway. Its made by Dorman and on the way to me. Plastic not sealing and smushing over time tells me the product isn't fully developed.

I should add...Even though its painted on the outside I think its safe to say it would be wise for me to shoot a nice coat of gloss over it. Maybe some of that Majic Diamond stuff that lays so well.

I put something between the skid plate and the metal tank so there would be no rubbing from any vibration.

I put something between the skid plate and the metal tank so there would be no rubbing from any vibration.
Yep. I bought some of that rubber liner you use under a shower pan in the bathroom placed in the skid plate and some old bicycle inner tubes over the straps.

I’m having good luck with my plastic 15 tank.
combines use roto-molded tanks that are 300:gallon. If it wasn’t acceptable the EPA would be all over them for leakage. 🤷‍♂️

I put in the MTS 20 gallon tank a few years ago and aside from a bum fuel gauge sending unit I have zero complaints. It does sit quite a bit lower than the stock 15 gallon but since I don't do any heavy wheeling it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks