Steering Lock - Flat Towing

Steering Lock - Flat Towing

krrobison

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sport Wrangler V6 auto transmission
My 2012 Sport Wrangler has an automatic transmission, and apparently doesn't have a steering lock. I would like to flat tow it behind my motorhome. The hard copy manual in the glove box doesn't mention the need to put the key in the ignition... the manual on the DVD that came with the Jeep mentions the need to put the key in the ignition and turning it to on. Further it askes you to lift the negative battery cable. I have been able to turn the front wheels from full left to full right with the key out. The dealer wasn't much help. He told me to continue to place the key in and lift the cable. Anyone have any experiance?

not with an auto wrangler. My CJ gets the rear shaft removed, hubs unlocked, the key in the run pos. and the battery disconnected. I guess if you have no column lock there is no reason to put the key in the lock.:confused:

My 2012 Sport Wrangler has an automatic transmission, and apparently doesn't have a steering lock. I would like to flat tow it behind my motorhome. The hard copy manual in the glove box doesn't mention the need to put the key in the ignition... the manual on the DVD that came with the Jeep mentions the need to put the key in the ignition and turning it to on. Further it askes you to lift the negative battery cable. I have been able to turn the front wheels from full left to full right with the key out. The dealer wasn't much help. He told me to continue to place the key in and lift the cable. Anyone have any experiance?

I'd drop that driveshaft and unlock those front hubs rather than risk burning up a transmission and or TC by towing with the rear tires on the ground.

The reason it is recommended to have the key turned to RUN and the battery cable disconnected is because the front tires need to steer back and forth around turns. If your steering wheel doesn't lock there's no need to do either.

As for the hubs if you are going very far it's best to remove the rear driveshaft and unlock the hubs.
On the other hand if you don't remove the rear driveshaft keep the hubs lockedto keep the transfer case lubricated.
Check out this link: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/front-hubs-towing-3458/#post31118

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom