Steering Steering column

Steering Steering column

JoeB

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, in-line 6cyl, all original
I have an 85 CJ7 with all original equipment. My problem is the tilt steering column. I have replaced the actuator switch and rod, ignition switch, but the jeep won’t start unless the steering wheel is tilted all the way down. Once started the steering wheel can be raised and the jeep can be driven without any problems. Any thoughts on the solution is?

Is it an automatic

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

If the ignition switch placement is not adjusted correctly the tilt of the wheel can stop you from starting. That's what it may be. Try sliding the switch slightly forwards or backwards on the column until you find the sweet spot.

To CJ's point, the mounting holes on the switch are slotted and there is some adjustment possible by loosening the two mounting screws and sliding the switch forward or back slightly. Of course in the column you have the actuator rack (gear and key looking piece). That gear is plastic and could have a tooth missing/slipped/stripped.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks