Steering box question

Steering box question

Sean112280

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ5- chevy 350, T18, D30 front, and D44 rear
2007 XK Commander- 4.7L V8 qudra-drive 2
My buddy told me about using a dodge Dakota steering box in my '74 CJ 5. Is this possible and has anyone done it before? What year Dakota would I use?

My buddy told me about using a dodge Dakota steering box in my '74 CJ 5. Is this possible and has anyone done it before? What year Dakota would I use?

:)Sean:

Why would you want to change? You should have a GM Saginaw steering box in there already.........one of the best made.
You did not mention whether yours was power or manual?
If it's leaking or needs a rebuild.......take it out and send it or take it to a quality re-builder..........
:D:D:D:D

The Dakota uses a saginaw box. ;)

:)CJ

Yep, I know that...........but why change?
I guess I'm just not familiar enough with the valving nor pump pressure as setup in the Dakota to recommend it...........

If he already has power then its an easy rebuild & re-valve to suit his needs.

What series Saginaw's are they using in the Dakota?

It is power steering. I heard the Dakota box is tighter. My steering has a lot of play in it

It is power steering. I heard the Dakota box is tighter. My steering has a lot of play in it

:)Sean,

Crawl under your CJ and at the front side of your steering gear closest to the frame rail & see if there is a large 76 cast into the housing? The 76 will be stacked ,7 on top of the 6. If you have this box that's a series 800 and can be rebuilt.

The only thing that will make it tighter or loose will be age & wear. Variable Valving will make it easier to keep your Jeep in the lane at speed.
If you have play you should check out your complete steering system from steering wheel to your wheel bearings.............there is a good chapter here on this site that takes you through that.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks