Steering box needs replacement, what donor vehicle will work?

Steering box needs replacement, what donor vehicle will work?

suburban99

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 304 V8
2011 Silverado 4x4
2004.5 Dodge Cummins Diesel
1997 Porsche Boxster
Hey all, my CJ7 needs a new power steering box as it wanders and I can see the output shaft moving from side to side. I know it is a saginaw box, but what vehicles will fit? I plan on searching CL as the wreckers up here want an arm and a leg for one. Any suggestions?

Seems like yards wanted $85 minimum for a used one. And you never really know how "used" they are.

I went to advance auto parts and spent $129 on a reman PS gearbox about 3 months ago. BEST decision I made!

I got one for a 1976 J20 truck... Part number SG16529

There are a couple advantages to using this box over the stock CJ box...

Plus, it was a super simple swap.

You could also try www.car-parts.com for salvage yards that happen to use this site...

But I had steering issues and wandering for years. I was tired of screwing around with it, and figured that getting a used box was just inheiriting someone elses worn out box... The new (reman) worked GREAT...

good luck...

Check out this thread if you want... It started out as a Durango to CJ PS box conversion thread, but dealt with my installation..

The Florida Jeepers Offroad Association :: View topic - CJ - Durango PS gearbox=

Seems like yards wanted $85 minimum for a used one. And you never really know how "used" they are.

I went to advance auto parts and spent $129 on a reman PS gearbox about 3 months ago. BEST decision I made!

I got one for a 1976 J20 truck... Part number SG16529

There are a couple advantages to using this box over the stock CJ box...

Plus, it was a super simple swap.

I think your right about the reman box versus used. I will try to pick one up next week when I am in Tacoma WA...
Oreilly auto has the CJ7 cardone rebuild part #27-6534=$142.99
But the J20 1976 is part# 27-6524=$116.99

What are the benefits to running the J20, are the hoses the same?

I think your right about the reman box versus used. I will try to pick one up next week when I am in Tacoma WA...
Oreilly auto has the CJ7 cardone rebuild part #27-6534=$142.99
But the J20 1976 is part# 27-6524=$116.99

What are the benefits to running the J20, are the hoses the same?

In later years, (not sure when the change was made) there are "o " rings used to seal the hoses. In mine the hoses have flare fittings on them. That is the only real issue in using a later model box from a different vehicle.

The J20 box has a faster ratio. It turns lock to lock with less turns, not much less though. I measured mine at 3.85 turns lock to lock with my worn out CJ box, and with the J20 box, it turns lock to lock with about 3.3 turns of the steering wheel.

The other advantage I've been told is that it is a stronger box. Look at the pics I put up on that thread I linked to. The front of the J20 box is about 4 1/8 inches across the diameter. The front of the CJ box is about 3 3/4 inches. I'm not sure what the heck is different inside (I have NO intention of ever disassembling one) but I was told it is a stronger unit.

The boxes mount exactly the same. The pitman was even the same. I got rid of a drop arm and went back with a standard straight arm. I dont know what coupler you have on the end of your steering shaft, whether it is a rag joint, or the "bell" type coupler. I have the bell, and it moutnted perfectly.

Hey Suburban99....

I just noticed you're from Canada... I should have ended all my sentences with "eh".. If you want, I can go back and edit my posts for ya. "Eh".... HAHA..

good luck with this.

brian

Anyone know the o-ring size for the power steering hose fittings?

Dont you have flare fitting style hoses? I didnt think they started using the o-ring style till later than 1980.... But I could be wrong...

Dont you have flare fitting style hoses? I didnt think they started using the o-ring style till later than 1980.... But I could be wrong...

Nope, they are o ring type 18mm fittings. I am pretty sure it is original to the Jeep.
I ordered a reman box from NAPA in Sumas WA..$133.00 + core charge of $160.00 but I can take the old one down with me. No Advance Auto in Washington State...over $280.00 up here in BC...

Nope, they are o ring type 18mm fittings. I am pretty sure it is original to the Jeep.
I ordered a reman box from NAPA in Sumas WA..$133.00 + core charge of $160.00 but I can take the old one down with me. No Advance Auto in Washington State...over $280.00 up here in BC...

So which reman box did you order?
If you ordered the older version ( i.e. 1976 ) then it will have the flare fittings. I didnt know you had the newer version with the "o ring" style. You can actually use the older box if you ordered it, and just use an adapter fitting to convert.

Hope it works out easily for you.

So which reman box did you order?
If you ordered the older version ( i.e. 1976 ) then it will have the flare fittings. I didnt know you had the newer version with the "o ring" style. You can actually use the older box if you ordered it, and just use an adapter fitting to convert.

I ordered the stock CJ7 replacement for a 1980. I figured if the first one lasted 32 years the next one will outlast me. :)

good call...When you change the box, I bet it feels like a slot car!!! Thats what I thought when I did mine...

I wasnt aware that the 1980 used "o-ring" hoses...
That was mainly what I was talking about.

Once I can get the darn lines off of mine, it will need replacement. It's been leaking like crazy and has been sitting still. I've got 35" tires and will be mainly running street.

I was thinking of the reman box plus an HD bracket would be a good setup. thoughts?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks