Suspension Spring Shackle Lengths,..??

Suspension Spring Shackle Lengths,..??

Bondo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1963 willys cj 5 dauntless V6, auto.
Hi All,.... I just picked up a '63, Willys Jeep, CJ5, 'n am learnin' as I go,...

I'm gonna change out the worn out spring, 'n frame bushings with poly bushings, 'n hopefully greaseable bolts,.....

The reason I'm postin' is, there's a set of extended shackles on it now, both ends have 7/16" bolts, that are 3, 3/8", center to center,.....
I've found oodles of replacements, but they're all listed as 1" or 4" or whatever over stock,.....
'n I have no idea what stock is,.....
I'm sure my are longer, but no idea how much,......

Any Ideas,..??

Greetings from Va! I do believe stock CJ shackle bolts are on 3” centers.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you,....... I'll remeasure mine today, as I doubt somebody would do a 3/8" lift kit,......

Ok,.... Just went down to the shop to finish yesterday's oil change,.....
Left it drainin' overnight, refilled it, 'n took it for a 1st ride around the gravel pit,.....No surprises, so alls well,.....

I remeasured the shackles bolts, 3, 1/2" c/c,.....
I found some of the U-shackles on line, that measure 3" overall, less the shoulders, 'n 1/2 of the bolt diameter, I'm guessin' the original spec is 2, 1/2",......
So,..... I guess I'm gonna be lookin' for new shackles, poly bushings, 'n greaseable bolts, at 1" extended,....

I wouldn't worry about 1/2" or 1" of difference in length, if it's working OK I would leave it.
Ayuh,..... My thoughts are,..... I can see lean in a couple of the bushings, so poly replacements are in order,.....
As you mighta noticed, I like movin' things to be Greaseable,. so greaseable replacement bolts are needed,....
It's got bigger tires, so I need whatever lift it's got now, for tire clearances,....
'n I don't want it higher, as it's a bytch gettin' into the seat now,....

I'm sure I could tune up the shackles on it now, but just buyin' a "Kit" with the things listed above is just so much easier,.....

Bein' a newby jeeper, I have a list of changes I'm gonna make,.....
This is on the list, but not at the top of the list,..... ;)

Make sure you check the shackle hanger brackets bolted to the frame. 2 of my 4 were cracked. Brittle metal I suspect.

Make sure you check the shackle hanger brackets bolted to the frame. 2 of my 4 were cracked. Brittle metal I suspect.
Ayuh,.... Once I get the parts, I'll be sure to wirebrush the 'ell outa 'em, for a close up inspection,.......

Something I've noticed, has brought up another question,.......
I see u-bolt skid-plates everywhere, 'n on various videos, I see the u-bolts hangin' way down below the u-bolt nuts, like my jeep, close to 2",.....
I understand(sorta) the skid-plates, but why don't folks lobe off the excess u-bolts below the nuts, with a grinder,..??..??

'n while I'm down here layin' under the Jeep,.....
Goin' by dates, 'n differential gasket patterns, I Believe my Jeep has Dana 30s, front, 'n rear,....
Is that a safe assumption,..??
If not,.... Which Dana axles do I have,..??
Front, 'n rear are both off-set,....

Mine only hang about an inch below the nuts, my grinder/diamond blade was missing for a few years but finally cleaned up my garage after a water heater leak, found now and been thinking of trimming mine for some time also. Post up a couple of pictures of your axles.

Mine only hang about an inch below the nuts, my grinder/diamond blade was missing for a few years but finally cleaned up my garage after a water heater leak, found now and been thinking of trimming mine for some time also. Post up a couple of pictures of your axles.
Ayuh,..... I'll lob mine off the next time I'm under it with a grinder,....
Unless somebody comes up with a damn good reason not too,.....

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
........Unless somebody comes up with a damn good reason not too,.....

Well - If you leave em long, that would provide you the opportunity to bend em after draggin em across rocks and stumps - would make removing the nuts later on a lot more fun!!

Well - If you leave em long, that would provide you the opportunity to bend em after draggin em across rocks and stumps - would make removing the nuts later on a lot more fun!!

Ayuh,..... My luck, I'd hang 'em up on a stump,.....
I see u-bolts as a one-time use deal, so I'm gonna lob 'em off,....

They’ll also do a number on opossums.....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom