Spring over Axle Lift

Spring over Axle Lift

frogger42

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
I have a 1983 CJ7 that I purchased last September. It's been a project restoration that I'm in the process of replacing just about everything. It's coming along nicely through. I am wanting to tackle the suspension as the leaf springs are worn and flat. I'm looking to replace the springs and shocks. Here's where I'm hitting a snag.

The previous owner installed a Spring Over Axle configuration. I am running 35 inch tires, which is probably why he went SOA as a 4 inch lift would have the tires rubbing.

My quandary is what size lift kit should I order to replace these lift springs? My gut tells me 4 inch would be fine, but don't want to lift this thing sky high. There is sag on the drivers side, but frame to ground is around 26 inches on that side and on the passenger side it's like 28 1/2 inches. I'd like to keep the same SOA configuration as from what I've seen it's difficult to find a lift kit that will take a spring under configuration with the 35 inch tires.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

It kinda depends on the SOA kit used, how much it raises the springs above the axle. Good ones just need stock springs from what I've seen.

I'm considering one myself from Rocky Road, and it simply needs stock springs.

A typical SOA lift with stock springs usually nets about 6inches of lift. That's going to be pretty good for 35s.

It kinda depends on the SOA kit used, how much it raises the springs above the axle. Good ones just need stock springs from what I've seen.

I'm considering one myself from Rocky Road, and it simply needs stock springs.

So when you say stock springs...that's what a 2 inch lift or should i google stock lift springs for my jeep and see what comes up? Sorry relative novice to suspension here... As for the "kit" used, it appear this dude just fabbed his own. Theres a few welded components.

Funny enough I havee an 83 that I went soa and 35s. I used stock YJ springs works great, I also added 1 inch body lift to clear my transmission

c21fbbba0c32d3c77917d7fe38121c2a.jpg

My front springs are sagging so it should sit higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when you say stock springs...that's what a 2 inch lift or should i google stock lift springs for my jeep and see what comes up? Sorry relative novice to suspension here... As for the "kit" used, it appear this dude just fabbed his own. Theres a few welded components.

No worries...stock / no lift. I’d do what Gert and did get some YJ springs and a YJ conversion kit for the fronts (wider springs) and you’ll be good to go.

Some pictures of what you have might help, some SOA kids can be dangerous if not made well.

Using Tapatalk is by far the best way to add pictures.

No worries...stock / no lift. I’d do what Gert and did get some YJ springs and a YJ conversion kit for the fronts (wider springs) and you’ll be good to go.

Some pictures of what you have might help, some SOA kids can be dangerous if not made well.

Using Tapatalk is by far the best way to add pictures.

Man what’s up with photobucket still, shame

Man what’s up with photobucket still, shame

It’s a shame but I usually type out my longer posts on a computer, and then I hop on Tapatalk and edit them and insert pictures.

New forum format allows easy insert of pictures from your computer. 10th button from the left like looks like a picture or a "ctrl p" will allow you to select any picture from your computer. Once placed in the reply or new msg, click on it one time and the round circles on all four cornors appear. Drag these to resize. Really easy now!

Really easy on an IPad also, and my pictures are on my iPad and nothing to do with photo butt

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks