Spare Tire Rattle fix

Spare Tire Rattle fix

rivergoblin

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep CJ7 Renegade
Hey all,

I've got an '82 Jeep CJ7 and looking for some help. i've tried to search around several forums for a fix for my spare tire rattle. I think its a common problem but can't seem to find the steps to "try" to fix. I think its coming from the latch, the rubber probably needs replacing.

If you know any links on how to fix, please let me know... thanks!

Is this the OEM tire rack?
If so-try bending down the top 'finger' of the latch.
How loose is it fitting in the hinges?
LG

As I recall, there are a couple of plastic bumpers to hold things in place that might need adjusting. The oem tire rack was designed for only a p235 tire and might be good with a 31" tire.

I replaced all of the rubber pieces on the OEM spare tire carrier a couple of years ago, the only place I found that carried all of those little rubber stops (the ones that look like gumdrops) and the rubber piece for the latch was Collins Bros Jeep. Be forewarned, thier stuff isn't cheap...

Jeep OEM/Replacement Parts ? CBJeep

Sorry should have been more specific. Yes, it's the OEM tire carrier with P235 tires.

The hinges don't have any spacers or washers, only the bolt. It is a little loose, any idea where i can get somethings to tighten it up.

I probably could bend the finger latch down too. Gonna give it a shot over the weekend.

Thanks for the help!

Any well stocked hardware store should have plastic washers.
You want a total of 4.
BTW: OEM was 'step-bolts'. Take one of the bolts with you to get the correct size. IIRC, it's 1/2" dia for the bolt's body.
LG

OFS :chug:
THX for the update.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks