Spare tire mount

Spare tire mount

Gclyne

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5, 258 I6, T-18a, Dana 30 with AMC 20. 4 inch lift, 1 inch shackle lift, 1 inch body mount lift, 2 inch spring lift. 33" all terrains. Daily driver, 60k miles. :)
I already have a reinforced heavy duty tailgate. Well it's not really a tailgate since it doesn't have hinges but you get the point. Was wondering if I can mount the stock tire carrier on the back panel to fit 33 inch tires. Would this work and what had you guys done for spare tires? Thanks

Depends on how reinforced your tailgate is. Stock tailgates simply are not made to hold up a tire. On Jeeps without a tailgate you often see a tire carrier and they seem to hold up well enough. Even then the big skins will tear them to pieces.

I already have a reinforced heavy duty tailgate. Well it's not really a tailgate since it doesn't have hinges but you get the point. Was wondering if I can mount the stock tire carrier on the back panel to fit 33 inch tires. Would this work and what had you guys done for spare tires? Thanks

I think what your talking about is the tailgate delete option from the factory. You just have a solid panel and no tailgate correct? I had that set up on my 78 CJ5 and I ditched the rear seat. I drilled a couple holes and put in some anchor points for ratchet straps. If you dont need the rear seat I'll continue. :)

It's not the tailgate delete, it's a custom made 1/4 steel plate reinforced to the fender wells. It's heavy duty and could probably hold a 75lb tire easy but don't know what mount I should use to clear 33s. Any ideas in the spare tire mount itself?

Sounds like the ball is in your corner on this one, you know what you have we clearly do not.

Picture speaks a thousand words. No tailgate tpnme means no reason for a swinging tailgate. Measure your tire height and width then fab it on up? Factory mount will hold if you attach it to 1/4" steel. I dont have a spare so I really cant say:D:D:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks