TCase something missing

Transfer case
TCase something missing

WHATROAD

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj7 RENEGADE, Hard Top, factory air, reman 258 I6, ax15, D 300, D 30, AMC 20 with one piece axle, welded tubes and a searchers truss system, 4.56 gears, 4" lift, BFG 33x12.5x15, DirtWorx front and rear bumpers, rock sliders
With a blow by problem for some time you can imagine the oil accumulation (rust inhibitor) on the underside of the jeep. Engine replaced and bottom degreased I found a leak from my dana 300. The jeep has been down since just before Covid so who knew what I would find once I fired it back up and drove it. What's missing in this picture, and how big of a hassle is it to put this three dollar item back in?

Attachments

• 20210717_110420.jpg
    20210717_110420.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 22
You are missing another cap just like that one. You will need to gut the unit as far as I know. When I upgraded to 4:1 gearing it all came out. I didn't need to remove those.image.jpeg

Do they insert from the inside? I have one brain cell that claims to think they are a press fit from the outside. That can’t be right - sounds very counterintuitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't take mine out, but I looked pretty good an just figured pressed from the inside out. But you know how that figuring stuff works out.

I never removed mine either. Would make sense to have em insert from the inside.

yah, I know what is missing, have no idea how it came to be missing, and the head scratcher is what to do next. I'll drop by Predator on Monday and let them shock me with the alternatives. I'm so looking forward to a dry garage floor, someday.

You can press them from the outside. When I rebuilt my dana 300 I removed and installed new ones. You can install with a dead blow without pulling anything. I would recommend putting some silicone on before installing. I use the grey.

I need to start listening to that one brain cell.......

As usual, I can find help here. Thanks coldair, the part is on order. I'll post up results when they happen. Thanks again guys

What is the part called and where are you getting it from ?

shift fork rod thimble, or cover, your choice. I went with quadratech, same product all over town cheaper with them. $3.00

Drove to Predator 4x4 this morning and grabbed the last one in the bin. The incoming one is now going into stock in case this happens again. Thanks again coldair

Attachments

• 20210719_090937.jpg
    20210719_090937.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210719_091549.jpg
    20210719_091549.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 12
Did you test that you can shift it ok - looks a little mushroomed in?

nah dude, it's all good

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks