Some questions

Some questions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G6, 79 CJ7, Modified 84 C10
If i were to go with the Teraflex shackles and a 4in. lift, will i need a longer drive shaft for front and rear? Also, there's some spots on my frame that are definitely in need of some attention. Without doing a full frame restoration, how much could i get away with some "patch work"?

If i were to go with the Teraflex shackles and a 4in. lift, will i need a longer drive shaft for front and rear? Also, there's some spots on my frame that are definitely in need of some attention. Without doing a full frame restoration, how much could i get away with some "patch work"?
Your drive shaft lengths would probably be alright as the shackles don't really give you any additional lift. They may even be shorter then the ones you have.

The problem you will most likely run into is that if you don't REALLY do your home work and check out how much articulation the shackles give you, you can bottom out shocks, tear out a break line and worse, when the suspension flexes, extend the drive shaft beyond the slip yoke. That is what we tend to call - for lack of a better term - bad... :)

Now, how to get away from those problems.

1) Use limiting straps to keep the shackles from folding out as far as they could. That works but pretty much defeats the purpose of having them.

2) Put the shackles on, remove the shocks, brake lines and drive shafts. Jack up the Jeep so the suspension is extended and so some careful measuring. Then decide on what will work and what won't

3) Use some new heavy duty shackles.

IMHO - It really depend on how much work you are willing to do.

I have a 78 CJ7 with the 304,t400,quadratrac drivetrain. 4" lift with 2" longer shackles. The driveshafts are stock. As long as pinion and transfer case angles match, you should be fine. If you do a transfer case drop and raise the pinion the same amount you drop the transfer case(in degrees), you should be fine. Definately check the articulation like CJ said. He was writing this post at the same time as me and beat me to the punch. Man he is fast! As far as the frame, any part that is rusted needs to be cut out and replaced by a good welder. Cut out a little past the rust so you have clean strong metal, use some cardboard templates to trace onto the proper gauge steel, and you are in business. Brace and gusset any repairs the best you can. Better safe than sorry in this department.

Last edited:
ProjectCrawler, do you have Teraflex shackles? I have em on the front of my CJ and I had to add a limiting strap as when the suspension unwound my front shaft would extend beyond the slip yoke. Curious...

No, sorry. That's why I added the comment to listen to you and check the articulation. I am in process of doing a soa and know I will need longer travel splines to keep them from popping apart.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks