Shenandoah Road Trip

Shenandoah Road Trip

CJAKE7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Had: 90 Wrangler, 85 CJ7, 51 Willys pickup, 94 Cherokee Sport
Have: 85 CJ7
So a little over two yrs ago I got a cj again(after 7yrs of the minivan thing). This spring spent many hrs in the garage with it by ditching the carter carb for a weber, replacing AMC20 two pc. axels for after market one pc and fixing rust holes in the frame. I took it camping with my son last weekend and it finally runs like a dream. It needs rear bumper/hitch work and re-grearing in order to be a great trail rig but for now it does well for light duty offroad use. So I now desire to truly test its dependability. I am planning a 14 yr anniversary trip with my wife to Shenandoah National Park to hike, swim & cruise the mtns. of Virginia. I am stoked for this trip. It is about 200 miles one way. Any advice for my trip, site seeing ideas or trails in the area of Shenandoah would be much appreciated.:cool:

So a little over two yrs ago I got a cj again(after 7yrs of the minivan thing). This spring spent many hrs in the garage with it by ditching the carter carb for a weber, replacing AMC20 two pc. axels for after market one pc and fixing rust holes in the frame. I took it camping with my son last weekend and it finally runs like a dream. It needs rear bumper/hitch work and re-grearing in order to be a great trail rig but for now it does well for light duty offroad use. So I now desire to truly test its dependability. I am planning a 14 yr anniversary trip with my wife to Shenandoah National Park to hike, swim & cruise the mtns. of Virginia. I am stoked for this trip. It is about 200 miles one way. Any advice for my trip, site seeing ideas or trails in the area of Shenandoah would be much appreciated.:cool:

That sounds like a fun trip. Im doing something similar only 600 miles one way. :driving: Im camping outright when I get there. When I saw you say hike , swim I thought maybe you were doing the same? When are you going? I'll probably have some dos and donts after I get back for sure. :D I think one of my biggest issues is going to be storing all our gear. Its just Vicki and I but 3 + days of camping stuff adds up. Im going to be throwing one of those reciever racks on my rear bumper. I figure that extra space and no rear seat should make the room I need.

Ive also changed every fluid in the Cj so far , air filter , tune up and so forth. Im looking at the belts sometime this weekend along with going over bolts Ive had out since the trans swap. When I get there I plan on giving it a good once over again. I'll get a good list of things Im bringing with soon. :)

Its so nice to hear another cj bringing a famliy closer and making memories. Good luck on your trip. :D

We will be going the last weekend in July. We will be staying in the lodge at Big Meadows(Anniversary Trip & camping don't go together in my wife's book, congrats to you guys that have wives that do:rolleyes:). I am just happy she is becoming a Jeep chick(initially she had issues with driving a vehicle with no roof or doors - especially for our kids safety, but she is coming around pretty good).:)

Its all good. Sounds like youll be enjoying yourself either way. I'll be back from mine before you leave so I'll let you know what I missed and what I didnt. :chug:

We will be going the last weekend in July. We will be staying in the lodge at Big Meadows(Anniversary Trip & camping don't go together in my wife's book, congrats to you guys that have wives that do:rolleyes:). I am just happy she is becoming a Jeep chick(initially she had issues with driving a vehicle with no roof or doors - especially for our kids safety, but she is coming around pretty good).:)

Had a great trip. Put over 500 miles on the CJ7 and had no problems at all. Most of the trip was back roads, dirt roads and Skyline Drive. Here are some pics.

271_thumb.jpg
304_thumb.jpg
276_thumb.jpg
358_thumb.jpg
354_thumb.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks