Suspension Scratching my head.

Suspension Scratching my head.

Vikingone

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85' CJ7, 4.2 Liter, swapped in T18
The newest project I bought has a suspension lift on it installed by the previous owner. I’m trying to figure out if it’s a two inch or four inch. I’m going with four because it had tires equivalent to 37’s on it. I see signs of slight rubbing on the one rear tire. The springs have no numbers except on the clamp on the springs. Anyone know of a way to figure out the lift size? I need to get a drop pitman arm and want to get the correct part. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have a suspension lift that is unverified as to height. Was told at time of purchase it was a 4” lift, but age has weakened the springs so that measuring would be fruitless. The only method that I can come up with to truly get an accurate determination would be the exact true length of the main leaf, center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole. Compare that to the same dim from a 2” and a 4” lift spring and see what you have. Unfortunately, getting that dimension from manufacturers has proven difficult........ call several times and the answer will vary. If there’s a better way I’d love to know......

Sent from right here.......

I believe you simply put a straight edge from eye to eye on the spring, then measure down to the top of the axle tube. I haven't verified personally that the original springs would have been even with top of the tube, but this is what I was told previously. - Just remember that springs do sag over time / use, so you may get 3" and it used to be a 4" - Measuring the spring length would be more accurate here.

You can also see if the shackles have lift in them - they should be 3" on center. 4" ones would be 1/2" lift (1/2 of whatever they are over 3" is the lift they provide)

You can tell if you have a body lift pretty easily. Anything extra besides the standard 1" +/- bushing would be a body lift puck.

Also - before you drop pitman, I did a tie rod flip and use it with a 4" lift right now without issue (so far) - angles look ok.

I believe you simply put a straight edge from eye to eye on the spring, then measure down to the top of the axle tube.

This will work if you have same length shackles and they are at the exact same angle. One the springs relax, the shackles move toward horizontal......

Sent from right here.......

This will work if you have same length shackles and they are at the exact same angle. One the springs relax, the shackles move toward horizontal......

That makes sense. Might easily be off.

Also - before you drop pitman, I did a tie rod flip and use it with a 4" lift right now without issue (so far) - angles look ok.
I've got a 2 1/2" lift and going to install soon my new tie Rod and flip it. Didn't have to change out the pitman when I did the lift. You guys think I will need to do anything when I add the tie Rod flip ? Didn't really consider that before..

No - I ran the flip with my 2-1/2" lift for a good 5 years no issues here.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom