Rubicon Trail Ride 2017 - Poll Thread

Who is interested? Your vote will show.

• 99% No (for whatever reason)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rubicon Trail Ride 2017 - Poll Thread
As he indicated above, Posi has circulated an email regarding this. I know for me it will need to be in June to make it possible.

I think most people on here would love to do the Rubicon Trail, so that's not an issue; but getting your vehicle there OR having someone to rent-from or ride-with is the next hurdle.

I've not found any rental options out there...am I just unlucky or do they not exist?

Most of the group from Ouray have responded, 1 possible for August, and 1 possible for June.

I thinking it's a lot to ask of the Ouray group to do back to back runs. Any Jeep issues on the first run could exclude them on the Ouray run.

Personally, June could work for me. My 71 that's parked in Colorado Springs won't make 2 runs before I change out the clutch. I'm hoping it will make the Ouray run.

If I'm to go on the Rubicon run I'll need to buy a CJ out there, plus storage, if that's possible, or ride gun. Supplies are another thought as well.

Posi-Buy '75 or older, so you don't have deal with our :censored: SMOG laws.
:chug:
LG

Thanks, I typically like to buy older as they come ready to wheel out of the box.
On the flip side, I see good deals on CJ's that can't pass the smog law. In -state folks won't pay much for them = lower price, and I could care less if it's passes or not because I'll register it in MA and fly out with the plates.

Will you then drive the Jeep back or leave it here?
FWIW: There are 5-6 counties here that don't require SMOG.
A Jeep from southern Ca. would most likly to be more 'rust-free' than northern.
LG

I would fly back, and ship the CJ home. This all depends on if I can find a place to store it before the run.

You could store it with me. It would have to be outside.
It would be behind a locked gate in a fenced yard.
Get'n it to me, could be a PITA.
LG

Thanks, I appreciate the offer, very kind of you.
Waiting for JR's thoughts.

I voted "interested", I've got commitments for June so it would have to be August for me. I would either drive my CJ5 out there (not kidding!) or put it on a trailer and I would likely be solo so I could accommodate another Passenger/driver once there.

If JR sets the date for August, and you decide to go, I'll take you up on the open seat offer.

I could also do June, hopefully there would be a couple seats open then as well.

Last edited:
That would be great to team up Posi...move me up to "80% depending on dates and Money"

FYI,

Jeep Jamboree - 200 Rigs - Trail ClosedWhen Aug 4 – 6, 2017
Where Trail Closed Loon to Springs 6AM to 12AM

Jeep Jamboree USA - 100 Rigs

When Aug 11 – 13, 2017
Where Friday- Loon to Springs, Sunday Springs to Tahoe (SPRINGS CLOSED)

If we run August looks like a mid-week run.
Ouray CO Trail run would start around the 10-12th

July 31 - Aug 3 Monday thru Thursday?

Rubithon - 300 rigsWhen Jun 20 – 25, 2017
Where Loon to Springs

Last edited:
Sorry guys - been a busy weekend!

007 - Most of the rental places in Lake Tahoe, CA will not let you rent for a Rubicon run - they don't make it back in good condition...

The ones that do require you run it with their guides in their groups...

https://barlows.us/guided-trips/rubicon-trail/

http://4x4abc.com/Rubicon-Trail-4x4trips/rubicon-jeep-rental.html

You "may" have some luck calling one and working out some special arrangements or agreements telling them you'd be going through with someone already who has successfully ran the whole trail, but it's a long shot.

I would mention though, this is a pretty awesome deal for a out of town'er to do the rubicon... You could potentially get all gear and food etc (check their sites) with guided tour and not have to really worry about rig and camping gear etc...

Normally my jeep, and my uncles jeep, are full (1 passenger and supplies if full trip through) but we could see what we can figure out when closer as far as riding along...

As far as Camping gear - we would discuss fully to ensure, but depending on the number of people that go, I would have pretty much everything you'd need besides your clothes... We could all split the cost of food and drinks. I have lanterns, tents, etc, may even have sleeping bags and bedding etc depending again on amount of people...

Posi - I don't have a lot of storage room around, but that being said, we could probably work something out if you were interested in a local to me CJ. I'll PM you my phone number. Maybe long term with LG and I'd get it local before you arrive etc so we could do some things to it before heading up the mountain...

All - It's pretty cramped on the dates... Made more so by my previous commitments etc...

Let me think a bit more and post again by the end of this week with a better plan / firm date option on what I can do... It looks like 3 people "seriously" considering going, 1 June only (007), 1 August only (Shooby), and 1 Swinger (Posi - lol).

If it turns out someone is excluded date wise, I'm always happy to run the trail again... :cool:

Do we have anyone else interested in either of these "generic" date ranges?

I've decided to back down on this again this year. Going to go to the Colorado trail ride to meet everyone this year who goes and hopefully make some concrete plans to do this next year (2018) with pre-planned out dates and plenty of time for everyone to plan it out.

That being said, I will post to this section if I plan a run this year still before the run to see if anyone wants to go. It just wouldn't be the proposed extra days around and stuff but more like a long weekend run with 2 days on the trail, maybe 3 tops.

alternatively, if anyone just wants to plan themselves to come to CA to run the trail on their schedule, PM me or reply here and I'll see if I can swing going to as a guide still / just second wheeling buddy etc.

:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks