Rtv for rear dif cover?

Rtv for rear dif cover?

Cdub982

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 jeep cj5 4 cylinder
My rear diff has been leaking for years while my 82 CJ5 has sat and sat. I am in the middle of changing the gasket, and there is blue silicone in addition to the gasket... Is this needed? The sealant does not touch the gasket. There is nothing in my books. e29c58cdbfc67d40241ff17bb2b2ae08.jpg890bfc53d2dc6e0f7117ff0182f5da02.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have always just used a bead of sealant. The one time I used a cork gasket and sealant it ended up leaking :biggun:

As far as I am concerned, the cork gasket is fine. Adding a slight amount of silicone sealant is OK as long as it just to act as a buffer. What the sealant was probably used for is that your cover is not completely flat, ( ego warped). Check your cover.

BTW, blue rvt is really only for situations that have extreme problems. See the attached data sheet.

Attachments

• 81725.pdf
    218.7 KB · Views: 32
I use Fel-Pro gaskets and Indian Head gasket sealant on both differentials. Never a leak.

The last one I did I took a wild stab and ran a bead of Right Stuff on it. Best result I've ever had.

Love the stuff...use it every chance I get

Last time I did my rear diff I only used RTV, mainly because I didn't have a new gasket to put on because I was not expecting to have to pull my diff cover. That was 2 1/2 months and no leaks yet and mine is my DD. I used red RTV because that's what I had in the toolbox.

I do have a new gasket now that I will be putting on as soon as I get the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

I used the reusable lube locker gasket in my Dana 30 front axle years ago. I've had it apart a number of times. It's starting to look a little ragged but still seals good.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks