Rhino Lining the tub?

Rhino Lining the tub?

crzylee

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-7
Ok, after running topless for a ride Saturday and just a bikini top on Monday, my carpet HAS to go! Didn't really want to put carpet back in it, and was heavily thinking of rhino lining the tub.

What is the best brand to do this with? I am going to solo this (or maybe have a friend help). I know the seats have to come out, and I'm sure the shifter plate does too. What precautions do I need to take? What is the best way to tackle this?

Thanks guys!!

Lee

If your really going to rhino-line the tub, just drop it off at the installer of your choice and say "I'll be Baaack" :)
to do the DIY versions, take everything out and clean and scrub the floor. Then do it again. Then do it again...Then get serious and really scrub the floors this time...

Scuff the floor with a fine sandpaper, then clean the floor again.
Then use a metal cleaner (like metal ready from POR-15) and really clean out the floor.
Then apply the lining, after you clean the floor again.
Apply another coating and let it dry (HA! you thought I was going to say clean the floor again Didn't you? Admit it!)
Reassemble the interior... after you clean all the stuff you took out!
:laugh:

Thanks for the input. I pulled most of the carpet out last night, all I lack is under the shifter plates. Surprisingly the tub is in great condition. The PO did a great job repainting everything and not just throwing down carpet.

Its going to be a fun project, and I will need to take plenty of pictures! :D

I herculined one of my jeeps.
The Process:
Pull out everything.
Clean it out.
Use sand paper or scotchbrite pads and scuff the paint till it's dull no shiny spots,
sand and prime any rusty places.
vacuum it out.
Now wipe it out with denatured alcohol, wear gloves as not to get skin oils back on the surface. Do this a couple time until you stop seeing paint on the rags.
Now mask off the areas you don't want lined, use rolled up tape to plug bolt holes.
Apply a thin coat of herculiner using a brush, forget the roller :dung:, once it's tacky, apply the 2nd heavy coat, repeat until desired thickness.
Once the last coat it put on and is tacky pull the tape off, or it'll be a PITA.
Wait for it to completely setup, and reinstall everything.

Tips:
Wear a respirator, the kind approved for chemicals.
Goggles, you do not want this in an eye.
Wear gloves.
Take your time.
Do this outside or in a well ventilated area, herculiner is smelly stuff.

I lined the entire floor and went up about 2" around the sides.

I love this idea, but would it work in my fiberglass tub? Obviously not worried about rust, but grip and no carpet would be great. Also open to other carpet alternatives.

It sounds dumb, but skate board tape might be just the thing.:D For the fiberglass tub that is.

Hahaha! That would work! So the chemicals would not stick to the fiberglass? What about a paint with rubber bitts in it?

couldn't you sand the fiberglass down enough to get the bed liner to stick?

Oh, so it would work! Don't mind the prep work.....I say that now. Hahaha!

I have fiber glass front fenders it doesn't love the liner.
You have to use a primer of some type. The liner straight on the fiberglass
just peals off. I did use duplicolor spray on liner in the can and it's staying
on the inside of the wheel wells.

I'd look into a liner (non-skid) used in marine applications you more likely to find a good solution for fiberglass, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

U-POL is the only way to go IMHO. Fine paper will not work IMO. Below are some pics of the CJ8 build w/the U-POL.

100_1973.sized.jpg

Now here is where I sanded the tub w/180 grit and hand sanded/buffed the tub w/a red Scotch pad per the U-POL instructions. I added the 180 grit, wanted the stuff to stick as good as it can.
100_1992.sized.jpg

Tape off the tub
100_1996.sized.jpg

100_2000.sized.jpg

Shooting the Raptor. IMO, a lot better then the roll on liner for the ease of application/looks
100_2001.sized.jpg

100_2002.sized.jpg

Touch up
100_2004.sized.jpg

100_2007.sized.jpg

100_2016.sized.jpg

100_2044.sized.jpg

Ok I'm tired and I am very please w/this product. Prep was 180 grit and then followed up by a red Scotch pad. I wanted it really scuffed due to some of the POR-15 used and old paint on top of paint. Way to easy w/the spray on. I had the compressor @ 120psi and regulated the spray @ the gun. I did some test shots w/just air w/the compressor set @ 50psi to get the feel, then raised the compressor and adjusted @ the gun. Worked out well and when I changed bottles I just unhooked the air line to keep the consistency for the next bottle. After the first coat & stuck the gun in some lacquer thinner and shot until the gun was clean. Waited an hour while it bakes in the sun & shot the last coat w/the main object concentrating on the bed since it will take the most abuse. So, how does it look?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks