Misc. Retro Radios

Misc. Retro Radios

DconZ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7
I stumbled across this site today, they have some CJ specific products. I looked for a old school radio before with dual dials that would fit my factory dash but was modern behind the scenes i.e. Bluetooth, this site has them. I havent bought anything from them so I have no opinion on their products or services but they have some cool stuff...

I put one in an old Ford pickup. Looked pretty much like an original but had all the bells and whistles. Bluetooth, hands free etc. I like it except the miserly 25 watts per channel and or my crappy speakers. Looking at one for my CJ but I don’t know what the PO did to the cutout for the Pioneer thing they stuck in there.

I bought one several years ago now. It looks correct. Mixed feelings about it. It takes quite a while to boot up, not like vintage radios that were basically instantaneous.

The tuning knob gets internal corrosion such that as you turn it, it just beeps. If you turn it very slowly it sometimes works. I sprayed it with DeOxIt and got it working again, but over time, it corrodes again. It sounds ok through my speakers. As I said, mixed feelings about it.

With DC7 on it...sounded good at the time

Lasted about 90 days before it started that

Not worth the $ in the long run

“I might just stick with the Marine Bluetooth device without a Head unit for now..”

That is exactly what I did recently. But I sure do miss the audio processing and enhancement that head units can do. You’ll be Limited to the crappy eq on the app itself, if any.

“I might just stick with the Marine Bluetooth device without a Head unit for now..”

That is exactly what I did recently. But I sure do miss the audio processing and enhancement that head units can do. You’ll be Limited to the crappy eq on the app itself, if any.
I picked up a super basic one, no app required. It acts like a bluetooth speak with RCA outputs. I see they have amps like this now where a Bluetooth receiver is built in. I have been out of the audio game for about 20 years so I missed a few things

What are you using ?

I picked up a super basic one, no app required. It acts like a bluetooth speak with RCA outputs. I see they have amps like this now where a Bluetooth receiver is built in. I have been out of the audio game for about 20 years so I missed a few things
I’ve been out even longer

I am using this one .
Now I really feel left behind in the last century. What is it and what do you use it for ?

Think of it just like a Bluetooth speaker you connect your phone to. Instead of it playing the music it has outputs that plug into your amp so you don't need a traditional stereo. Mine is hidden away with my amp so you see nothing but my tower speakers.. probably should have posted that in my build thread..

Think of it just like a Bluetooth speaker you connect your phone to. Instead of it playing the music it has outputs that plug into your amp so you don't need a traditional stereo. Mine is hidden away with my amp so you see nothing but my tower speakers.. probably should have posted that in my build thread..
Thanks. I have a couple blue T speakers. I think I understand a lot better

And I am using this discontinued unit from Kicker.

Of course you don’t need an app for these controllers, but you do need one to play your music from. Apple Music, Spotify and so on.

This is a fairly new trend, maybe they will come up with sound processing capabilities soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3092.jpeg
    IMG_3092.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 9
Tried going that route already. You are correct.

I can appreciate old school originality for aesthetics, but I love my music and my Kenwood Bluetooth with USB too much. It may dissuade thieves from taking an expensive radio while maintaining period correctness, but I see most Jeep thievery coming from other low life Jeep owners. Steering wheel horn buttons being number one.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks