Rebuilding, the Warn 8274 winch-

Rebuilding, the Warn 8274 winch-

Lumpy Grits

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---
Legendary it is Lumpy, I have had a few of those bail me out of some tight spots after my Ramsey 8000 failed. That should be a sticky.

One of the things I was surprised about was the use of 30W oil. I've only ATF(Dextron/Mercon)in mine.
The other one was the motor upgrade.
My 8274 was built in Jan of 1977. Came on my '77 Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser.
Still run'n today on my CJ7. Only rebuilt it one time. That 8274 has saved me and others, many times.
LG

Thanks for posting this. I have an old 8274 I'm gathering parts for now. This will really help out when the rebuild begins.

It is mind boggling to see how many really good write ups there are for an 8274 on the internet. Most are really well done and informative.

I'm still looking for mine. Guess I will do the reading now and hopefully be able to go back and find these when I find me a good 8274 ����

Just keep haunting Craigslist. Eventually one will pop up. A little pre-purchase research never hurts, especially on Craigslist where it's best to know what you are looking for or at. Be award, these baby's are heavy. When you find one it is likely that you won't be tossing it around easily.

I have one spare and one on the TJ now. Been watching C/L for bargains or parts or ?? . I will buy these as they come available.Wide range of condition and pay attention to the date codes. Several new cable and fairleads being sold by people switching to synthetic line. Happy Hunting .

bought mine years ago with the new style motor and control box. Been wanting to replace the cable for years will get around to it one of these days

Or.... if you already spent your weekly allowance and can’t afford a new Warn 9500lb winch...
Get the Harbor Freight 9000lb one, mount the control box behind it and put Warn stickers on it! LOL
Believe it or not, they look identical!

Attachments

• B7C6EB4D-C552-487D-842B-7BF379A96985.jpg
    B7C6EB4D-C552-487D-842B-7BF379A96985.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 109
  • DC0B8D05-A1C9-4DA8-83A3-A1BA12127BA7.jpg
    DC0B8D05-A1C9-4DA8-83A3-A1BA12127BA7.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 94

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks