Rebuild, Replace or Upgrade

Rebuild, Replace or Upgrade

23hasyourback

Jeeper
Thanks
I have a 79 CJ5 with a 304 that I think is pretty great and slowly I have been replacing parts to be able to enjoy it . I have just been given the news that it has a bad camshaft... Need some advice! If I were to rebuild what should it cost? If I were to replace. I have just had a new clutch rebuilt transmission & transfer case new radiator installed. What engine can be installed that best fits with existing equipment? What do the Jeep "GODS" think I should do next?

I have a 79 CJ5 with a 304 that I think is pretty great and slowly I have been replacing parts to be able to enjoy it . I have just been given the news that it has a bad camshaft... Need some advice! If I were to rebuild what should it cost? If I were to replace. I have just had a new clutch rebuilt transmission & transfer case new radiator installed. What engine can be installed that best fits with existing equipment? What do the Jeep "GODS" think I should do next?

Well, I'm kind of a purist, and I like to keep my Jeep, all Jeep. So For me the decision is an easy one, I would keep the 304. You can give a long block engine from a generic builder a shot, but I personally don't trust them. Their built by God knows who with questionable attention to detail, and i have seen several of them in various flavors be bad right from the first fire. I would pull the engine I have, strip it, and bring it to a local automotive machine shop for inspection, boiling, machineing, and possibly assembly by them. THEY will have to bear the bad publicty if they do poor work, and any good shop will take the little extra time to get it right the first time. Depending on what is wrong and what is worn, I can't imagine that completion would go over $1,500 for a fresh dependable engine done right. Some guys will tell you to go to a 360, some will tell you to go to a SMB, but in reality, the 304 is a very good engine that gets a bad rap only because everyone wants bigger.

When my 304 started to smoke and puke I did what alot of people do. I yanked it out and replaced it with a 360. If you know your 304 and are able to get it rebuilt , $1500 sounds about right. I went to the 360 cause I knew the guy I got it from and got it on the barter system for helping coat 4 driveways. I love the barter system. Anyway I love my 360 but theres no reason for you to go out and buy one as long as you have a rebuildable 304 core.

All of a a sudden a bad cam? Just curious as to how this determined? Have you had good oil pressure? That's a pretty weird thing to just happen. I have seen cams wiped out at beak in for lack of lubrication though.

My vote (of course) is a 360 swap. There is no real reason to stay with a 304 when a 360 will, for the same cost to rebuild, give you more power, probably better MPG (if you can keep your foot off the throttle) and Many more Smiles per gallon (if you can't).
And its a direct drop-in replacement for that tiny 304.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks