Re: Starting a 65 CJ5 Build but need help with Dauntless 225 swap

ColonelAngus

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ5, Buick 225 Dauntless V6, T18, D30, D44,

Hello. I myself just purchased a 1970 CJ5 with the original Dauntless 225. All original for the most part except for Dana 27 front was swapped with a Dana 30, headers with a Weiand intake and a Holley 390 carb, Accell HEI, 2" lift, and missing original seats and hardware. I finally located the seat hardware and will pick it up tomorrow. I replaced the Holley 390 with a brand new Holley 390 mostly because I got it for $50 and couldn't pass it up. But I cant seem to get this thing to run right to save my life. I've done complete tune up, tried 3 different carbs and its making me crazy. I can go out and fire it up and it will run absolutely perfect. Drive it about 3 miles and it starts running like :dung:! I recently sourced a stock intake and Rochester 2 Jet carb and will be putting this on tomorrow and see if this is the issue. If not I don't know what else to do. Motor has good compression on all 6, no vacuum leaks, new filters and all tune up parts. Plugs gapped correct for HEI. I,m starting to think its some sort of vapor lock or fuel lines and filter to close to heat. I've wrenched on hundreds of motors in my 51 years but never messed with the little oddfire before so if I'm missing something please let me know! And since my setup sounds like what you are shooting for let me know if I can be of any help. Thanks

Could be a fuel delivery problem.
Have you checked how much pressure and volume your getting from your fuel pump?
If your not getting enough fuel to the carb you could have a blocked fuel filter or a restriction in your fuel line.

Thanks for responding so quick. I didn't have a chance to mess with it today but I will look into that tomorrow. Ive installed new fuel filters, and all new lines. Im running the manual fuel pump but I have an electric pump I could try but I thought it would be to much pressure without a regulator. The electric pump I have does have a dial type regulator connected inline before it with a dial that goes to 5 I believe. Anyway, I think my next step is going to be installing a manifold and 2 jet Rochester carb I got from a friend that removed it from a 70's Pontiac starfire I think is what he said. Ive got new intake manifold gaskets so I guess I will try that. Thanks

Maybe it's an electrical problem.
Coil, ballast resistor, etc.
Seems you've changed enough manifolds and carbs.
That's been no help.
Look elsewhere.

Maybe it's an electrical problem.
Coil, ballast resistor, etc.
Seems you've changed enough manifolds and carbs.
That's been no help.
Look elsewhere.

Hagar might have a point with the coil. When they get hot ,they start to weaken sometimes. The coil in an HEI is in the cap.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks