Steering Power Steering loss when clutch is engaged

Steering Power Steering loss when clutch is engaged

rfullington

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ5, 258
I have recently got my newly acquired 1980 CJ5 running pretty good. I am still working on the bugs I find as I drive it. I recently noticed when I am at a stop sign or the clutch is engaged, I have no power steering. (No comment from the non-power steering jeepers out there :) HAHA) If it did not have power steering, I would be okay with that, however, if it does have it and its not working as it should, I want to fix it in case it is an issue that might cause damage to any of the steering components.

lots of things to check. first dose it have enough fluid in it? is the belt tight enough? is the pump going bad?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

lots of things to check. first dose it have enough fluid in it? is the belt tight enough? is the pump going bad?

Good questions, I should have added this information. The pump is one of the first things I replaced about a year ago. But it still wasn't drivable at that time. The fluid levels are fine and the belt is in good condition and seems pretty tight. There are no squeaking noises or anything out of the ordinary when you look and listen. Power Steering is great when clutch is engaged making a turn.

Does it pump if you increase the engine rpm?
Gary

any chance its the steering box it self going bad? ive had some start to go bad and work fine when moving but try using it in a parking lot and you were in for a fight

There is a flow control valve that the pressure line connects to on the back of the pump. Might be stuck. Hotrod guys that under drive the power steering pump have to modify the flow control valve. Might be worth some research on the valve.

YEs it does, I tried this morning to make sure. When sitting idle at a stop sign, clutch engaged there is no power steering, but if I increase the RPM the power steering works.
How much did you have to increase the rpm?
Gary

Wonder if you could put a different pully on the pump to speed it up?
Ga

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks