Pop up truck campers?

Pop up truck campers?

thescot

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7, FI'ed 258, T5, D300, AMC 20 and D35. 06 Tacoma 4wd,98 4Runner 4wd, 97 Ram 2500 V10 & Lance 3000, 01 HD E Glide.
Figured some of you members may have some experience with slide in pop up truck campers. Its become a real hassle having a full size lance mounted on my PU all the time due to size,weight, combersoness, Is that a word :D, and all around ride. Something smaller and light with a comfy bed a porta pooper, and a few other basic things would be great. A major concern is that I have no idea if a person can get inside one when down to use the john (wife) Do they really help mileage (V10 Dodge Ram..chuckle,chuckle :rolleyes:) and are they a pain in the back side to put up?

I have been on a similar though process. Sold my lance and Chev 2500hd earlier this year and really did not like driving it much, well actually I hated it and was always uneasy with it especially with any kind of crosswind. There is a Bronco pop up truck camper for sale near me so I took a look and it and wow they are small in comparison and weight wise this one was 1300 lbs. , about 1100 lbs less than my lance 845. Yes you gona have to give up allot but just depends on your priorities, me I want to give it a go at some point.Palomino Bronco truck camper review - Roaming Times

That was the way I was going to go until we started looking at them and the wife pointed out that with a popup you loose all that storage from not having cabinets around the top. We ended up with a hardside. But it's only on my truck when we are going to go camping.

Ive put on and taken off ours about 4 times in the last year and its a pain in the you know what. I hate to invest in electric jacks for the thing, but Id imagine it would make it 100% easier.

I use to have one of the really big Lance on a 1 ton that I had. It had four corner electric jacks. Made getting it on and off really easy. But It was a pain to drive. I've also had a motorhome (Class A), and a 5th wheel camper. All in all a regular pull behind camper is very hard to beat. Had a 3/4 hard to camper for the 1 ton too. That worked out really nice for just myself. Your milage may differ. Rod

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks