Electrical Pairing down factory wiring harness

Electrical Pairing down factory wiring harness
Crimps over an insulating sleeve or heat shrink can be done fast and conveniently. But they are less than ideal. For the ultimate in reliability (pull, vibration resistance and conductivity), you can’t beat the open barrel crimp type. These are tricky to crimp correctly and not as easy to get, and is the OEM industry standard. They definitely don’t need any soldering and in fact are better than soldered joints, and also grip the insulation. Of course, this is debatable and you can use what you are confortable with. But I thought sharing this might be useful for the looks and quality obsessed.

Crimps over an insulating sleeve or heat shrink can be done fast and conveniently. But they are less than ideal. For the ultimate in reliability (pull, vibration resistance and conductivity), you can’t beat the open barrel crimp type. These are tricky to crimp correctly and not as easy to get, and is the OEM industry standard. They definitely don’t need any soldering and in fact are better than soldered joints, and also grip the insulation. Of course, this is debatable and you can use what you are confortable with. But I thought sharing this might be useful for the looks and quality obsessed.
I believe the ones I have are the barrel type. I had to get a new crimper just to use these

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

There is the open and closed barrel crimp. You can do a search and find out. This is actually a great topic to go through. Check it out.

There is the open and closed barrel crimp. You can do a search and find out. This is actually a great topic to go through. Check it out.
I will

As you said this assumes a good crimp, so don't do what I did and buy a cheap crimper tool. I need to buy a good one because my crimps suck right now.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

As you said this assumes a good crimp, so don't do what I did and buy a cheap crimper tool. I need to buy a good one because my crimps suck right now.
When dealing with any crimp connectors, and using good quality ones is better, you must have a good crimper tool. Just squeezing hard with a pair of pliers or even using some lesser crimp tools will give you nothing but bad results and electrical gremlins to chase down. Get a good ratcheting crimp tool that requires you to close it fully tight before it will release. I solder the majority of my stuff, but I do use this Ticonn crimper when I use crimp lugs or barrel connectors. It's got three different size jaws, ratchets down, and I like blue :)

crimper.jpg

Here’s a bit more to consider for this subject.

If you crimp, don’t solder. If you solder, don’t crimp. Terminals can be had in solder or crimp style. Of course, the crimp style is more practical and readily available. And if you want to take your terminal solder joints to the next level, use a resistance soldering station, not an iron. Again, this is for those that are obsessed with the high end of quality.

Just realized I didn't post any pics of the closer to done work. I still need to do the distributor wiring and alternator harness.

I need to find a better place for these other than just behind the battery traya866c5d5d72e767460e2daf5de7999bb.jpg

4085bfad045f36c382d26445266f8f80.jpg633a4d4e24e22375ea8f4eace5a38d91.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks