oregon elk camping trip

mstar

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1969 cj5 v6
2004 tj sahara
1971 cj5 renegade II
As the title suggests this was our elk hunting/ camping trip for 2016.It was just the wife and I and dog. Pardon the Wrangler in pictures, but the Renegade isn't ready for hunting duty until 2017 Deer Camp.We were in the Murderers Creek Unit in east Oregon near John Day, OR.
Weather was very mild with a little rain.No luck on finding any elk.Spotted a bobcat one morning ,a turkey and lots of mule deer. Put the jeep in 4x4 once on a muddy up hill stretch but that was about it.Driving forest service
fire roads and camping and hunting on public land in the Malheur National Forest. We were there 7 days and had a great time. mike

Attachments

• DSC02758.jpg
    DSC02758.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC02756.jpg
    DSC02756.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC02763.jpg
    DSC02763.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC02770.jpg
    DSC02770.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02764.jpg
    DSC02764.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 343
Nice, looks peaceful. I want to be there. Now that's a load of wood!

Beautiful area. Went rafting/fishing a few years ago on John Day River. Clearest night sky I have ever seen. High mountain desert. Good friend lives in Bend Oregon

Mike, looks like a good time was had. Thanks for sharing!

Is that an Aussie Cattle Dog?
Nice camp area!
LG

Is that an Aussie Cattle Dog?
Nice camp area!
LG

Yes she is 8 year old .Got her as a pup from a breeder. This is our third cattle dog. Some of the national forests do have great spots. we where dry camped next to a creek in a grassy meadow. Best part is it's free.
I call it "elk camping" because the hunting part has kinda diminished over the years but we still enjoy going and being in the fall woods. mike

Dogs make this 'rock' bearable.
Couldn't imagine my life without one.....
:chug:
LG

10-4 on that LG doesn't matter if they are recue dogs or whatever all are wonderful.

All of mine have been rescue.
Have a 7 yo mini-Aussie that we got at 12 weeks of age, she's a blue merle tri-color that's so smart it scary. She has no problem jumping my 4 1/2' block wall to go play with the neighbors dogs.
Loves to go Jeep'n with us.
LG

Mike thanks for sharing. Looks like the kind of trip I would love to take.

I am hoping we can do some camping trips up in the Northwest mountains with the jeep. Neither of us (mriplaybass - hubby) has done any hunting for many years. He taught me how to shoot a shotgun and bow hunting long ago. My main shooting is done around home for varmints with my .20 Sheridan Blue Streak originally made in Racine, WI. ;)

We did see a fair number of ruffed grouse when up at our lake home in Northern WI recently.

Good to hear from ya. It's been awhile. We also have a lot of grouse in the hunting area. My absolute favorite meal ,grouse breast with gravy and mashed potato. Never been to WI. but I am sure it is great jeep'in and hunt'in times. Going to the Oregon Dunes @Florence,Or. over Thanksgiving weekend and taking the 1971 Renegade II for her maiden voyage with me. Will have lots of pics. See you later, mike

Looks like that was a nice trip! Love playing on or by the Deshutes River!

My brother lives in Eugene and have been to the Florence beach and lighthouse a couple of times. Little farther north is the Spuce Goose Howard Hughs airplane which I have seen a couple of times. Beautiful country. Grew up on a ranch in Oregon years ago and had a couple of dogs also. Mixture of Australian Kelpy and Queensland Healer

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom