Trans Options for different transmission

Trans Options for different transmission

407-loco

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7
1978 CJ7 this thing is turning into a basket case witch I figured it would. So was out driving the wife around the neighborhood and lost 2nd gear. It's a 3 speed make it back home no problem with 1st and 3rd. Thought it was the linkage till I looked it up and it's a top loader so no easy fix there. It's going need to be rebuild didn't know if there's a 4 speed option I could be looking for online or just need to rebuild this one.

Assuming it's a T-150, there are several four speed upgrades that are pretty straightforward swaps. The NP435 only requires a pilot bushing.

T18 and SM465 are other options that require a few more parts, but still relatively easy to pull off

Really depends on what you want, how you use it and whether you plan to do it or have it done

I'm pretty sure it's a T-150 need to get under it and press wash all the clay out from under it so I can identify what it really has and need.

I can do most any that needs to be done to it from welding to mechanicing. It's more of time to do it than knowing how to.

Back story on the jeep is my best friend has had it for 15+ years and used it for a woods hunting jeep. But all the damage has came in the last few years when let his now 13 year old son. Learn to drive stick and drive it around his property as a play toy. I did pick it up cheep so not out alot of money.

I've had 3 Jeeps with the T-150 and also lost 2nd on one of the them years ago. Tried an AX-15 (to get overdrive), but too much shifting all the time. Now have a 700R4 auto behind my SBC and love it. Drive the Jeep while eating What-a-Burger at the same time. If your heart is set on a manual and you don't need overdrive, '@j6824' is right, the NP435 is a great choice. The T176 is also a good tranny to get a 4-speed. On the other hand, that T-150 is a great tranny as well and easy to rebuild in a Sat afternoon. The rebuild kit is about $100. Extra if you actually need gears.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
I forgot the number one rule of buy a new vehicle. Check all fluids before driving. Got home checked transmission and its full of water perfectly clean water not a drop of oil. Drain it and refilled with gear oil going to drive it around and see how it does now. Checked transfer case and rear end not the cleanest but it is gear oil.

If you were closer to Texas I could hook ya' up with a good condition T-150. Good luck.

Might need to do a road trip. Took it around the block with gear oil in it ended up loosing 3rd before I got back home. Going to pull the tunnel cover off this weekend and the top off the transmission see what it looks like in there.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom