Diff New gasket or something else?

Differentials
Diff New gasket or something else?

TBCJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'73 CJ5, 232/3.8L I6, Dana 30 front, Dana 40 rear, Dana Spicer 20 transfer case, 3 speed, fun.
New here - total novice so thank you for patience.
'73 CJ5, 232/3.8L I6, Dana 30 front, Dana 40 rear, Dana Spicer 20 transfer case, 3 speed, fun.

I'm assuming this is my gasket falling apart and needing to be replaced.
1) yes?
2) if so - hard to fix?
3) if not- ideas what's happening? IMG_9754.jpg
IMG_9755.JPG

Looks like the outer edge of the gasket is getting brittle and breaking off. Nothing to worry about unless it starts leaking. Not hard to replace if your inclined.

Ok great - thanks caveman!

Might be a good time to see what is inside there.

If you do decide to replace it .... get some cheap bolts about 2 or 3 inches long ( one for each bolt on cover). Cut the heads off. After you have the surfaces clean, thread the headless bolts in hand tight, just enough so they don't wobble around. Take the gasket and fit over the headless bolts. Then the cover. Then take one headless bolt out at a time and install bolt. The headless bolts keep everything lined up until you tighten everything down.

A lot of guys like to use RTV silicone as a gasket. My OCD won't allow it. Clean up the mating surfaces and use a Fel-Pro gasket with some Indian Head gasket seal. Works first time, every time.

I'm with Belizean, time to take a look in there. My Dana 30 looked like new inside, but my Dana 44 looked like a scene from a zombie movie.

10.jpg

CJ7_New_Shackles-Bushings_10.5.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom