Build Thread My CJ7 build thread

derf

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas4spd/D44/9" - In Progress
1984 GW - 360/TF727/NP229/D44/M23 - NP242 swap in progress
1986 J10 - 360/TF727/NP208/D44/D60 - 700R4 upgrade in the works
So rather than mix all my posts into other threads, I figured I'd make my own thread.

If you want to see what I've done so far, or you just want to see the whole build progress, go here: My 1984 CJ7

Today I built my transmission crossmember. I used 2x3 rectangular tubing and used the captive nuts in the frame that the original skid plate bolted to. I had to notch one piece to clear the parking brake bracket and I had to do some creative tapering of the cross tube to clear one of the bolt holes on either side.

I still need to clean it up and paint it but it's holding up the transmission now. I'll get to it when I drop the transmission to get the clutch installed.

crossmember1.jpg

crossmember2.jpg

crossmember3.jpg

crossmember4.jpg

You can see from the last picture that I have plenty of room to clock the transfer case down. I installed it in the 4 degree position initially but it looks like I can get away with drooping it a little when I put it in for good.

quite a piece of work.:cool:

Derf, Thanks for sharing that. Nice work and looks like youv've been around the block a time or two.
Your work exceeds anything I could do but I would like to say maybe you want to close up the end of that crossmember tube to keep it from filling with whatever gets there first, water, dirt, etc.
Just an idea.

I plan on filling it in. I just didn't feel like putting a cutoff wheel back on the grinder to cut out a patch when I have to grind down the edges that stick out too far.

Looking Good there Buddy! :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks