My CJ on the Oregon Trail

My CJ on the Oregon Trail

hutchman

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 - 90,000 original unmolested and rust free miles - Stock - well almost.........
This is not much of a trip report, but......

If you are ever on I-84 between Pendleton and La Grande, Oregon, you might want to take a short break and stop on the MT Emily/summit Road at Exit 248. About 1/8 mile east of the interchange and just after the cattle guard is a small pull off. The Oregon Trail crosses the Summit Rd at this point.

This is a picture of my CJ parked in the middle of the OT. Just to the right of the CJ, there is a small marker and behind that marker you can see a depression in the ground which is a swale from the original OT.

2011-10-2914-01-03134-M.jpg

Detail picture of the marker:

2011-10-2913-59-19111-M.jpg

One thing most people don't know about the OT or other wagon trials is that very seldom did the wagons travel in a single long line. Most of the time, when the terrain allowed, there were multiple trails and the wagons ran side by side. This is a picture of the second swale to the right of the marker:

2011-10-2914-01-3362-M.jpg

Another view of these two swales across the road:

2011-10-2914-00-05399-M.jpg

The depressions are very clear in this view in the middle of the picture. It is hard for me to believe that there are still 300 miles of visible swales between St. Joe, MO and Oregon City today. If you are interested, there are many still visible in OR and they are very easy to get to like this one.

I suppose the anti wheeling folks would complain about that too.

Thanks!

Post makes me drool

Haha, nice pics but those stickers have to go! At least get a real Laredo sticker.

LOL, I'm not sure if the PO thought they looked cool or they thought it was worth more money, but they have been on there a long time. I wondered if they were put on at the dealership when it was new........?

What an awesome piece of history to be able to enjoy. I have to say I am jealous! Thanks for the pics and info.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom