Build Thread My 1971 CJ5 Build Thread

Build Thread My 1971 CJ5 Build Thread
Just a small update...

My dad and I pulled the transmission and the transfer case out Saturday afternoon to fix a leak we had between the transmission and the bell housing. We found the oil was weeping out of a pressed in plug on the front on the case. We used some silicone and a homemade gasket to try to correct it....We'll find out if it worked after we top off the transmission with oil...

We discovered a water leak while we were getting the cooling system ready...There is a steady stream of water leaking from the driver's side water pump port behind the timing cover....Looks to have the wrong gasket installed....Woo...

I started to refinish the set of aluminum wheels we have, but I can't see myself restoring these wheels by hand...So I have a buffer pad set coming from Eastwood. Should make things much less tedious.

But good news is that we are getting very close to firing the engine. I can't wait to finally hear this thing run!

My dad picked up a tire from TireRack while he was off on business. We'll use this one to mockup the spare tire carrier and to check clearances in the fenderwells. The exhaust might even get in the way. Haha

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Looks good. Almost ready to four wheeling?
What size tires are those?

Man I got to hand it to you, that is one SWEET CJ you got there. It makes me want to just quit everything and get mine started.

Very nice job! I can't wait to see the finished product. It makes me want to take mine down all the way now. lol :notworthy:

Very nice job! I can't wait to see the finished product. It makes me want to take mine down all the way now. lol :notworthy:

It's a major PITA to take everything apart entirely. But it really is the best way to do a restoration...I can't even imagine how long it would take my dad and I to do a full restoration to a street car. ;)

Update:

Literally nothing has happened with the Jeep since my last update. Still waiting on the engine builder to get space at his shop for it. I went and talked to him yesterday, and he said to plan to move it the beginning of next week.

Major bummer....But it's been raining here in Ohio for the past two weeks...And it's going to rain the rest of the week. So it's not like I would want to drive it anyways.

But I'll be sure to keep my threads up to date!

Sorry about the lack of updates....Not a whole lot has happened....

The Jeep has been dropped off at our engine builder's place, it sat for a week, he took it apart, fixed the leak, put everything back together, and now it leaks at the water pump....

So now we're waiting for a water pump gasket....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks