Mountain Trails near Silverton Colorado

Mountain Trails near Silverton Colorado

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
I just got back from the mountains surrounding Silverton CO. This is my favorite place to take my Jeep. Any Jeep-CJ.com members interested in coming here should check out our trail ride http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/jeep-cj-com-colorado-trail-ride-6722/

Silverton is in San Juan County. The entire county has a population of 688. No, I did not leave out a couple of zeros. Most of the people in the county live in Silverton. To get to Silverton you need to take highway 550. Whether you come from the north or the south highway 550 is often a ledge on a cliff.
This shot is south of Silverton. The highway is the ledge near the top.
MountGarfield.jpg

This shot is north of Silverton.

RockyslopeSouthofOuray2.jpg

Although you can't tell in this low res image but there is a car wreck at the bottom of this canyon in the river. There are several car wrecks at the bottom of these ledges. These wrecks are all from the '50s and '60s. Nowadays they haul the wreckages back up. Back then they only brought the bodies up. There are many sections of this highway that don't have any guard rails. I often get behind someone that is obviously terrified of driving this highway. They go slow and drive far from the edge. They drive on the wrong side of the highway around curves they obviously cant see around. I guess they aren't as scared of head-on collisions as they are of falling off the ledge.

In the winter the population of Silverton drops to 15% the summer population. Anyone that wants to stay there for the winter knows there will be many times the highway will be closed. Highway 550 is known to have more avalanches than any any other stretch of highway in the US. They are often stranded for days or even weeks when the highway is closed.
Here is downtown Silverton Colorado.
0001DowntownSilverton.jpg

There is a Steam Train that brings tourists to and from Durango
Conductorandtrain.jpg

I took my Jeep north from Silverton.
Here is an intersection that often gets people lost. Go north through downtown Silverton to this intersection.
20145_siverton_intersection__medium.jpg

Today I turned right onto Cty Rd 2. That leads to Animas Forks Ghost Town and the Alpine Loop.
If I were to continue strait the road goes up the hill and then to the left (NW) to Corkscrew pass.
There are countless mines in these mountains and several ghost towns. I passed through Eureka. This town-site only has one building that looks like a over-sized modern outhouse but I never did check it out.
Here is a picture of where a mill used to separate silver and gold from the raw ore.

950_EurekaMill.jpg

You can easily drive a 2 wheel drive truck and trailer here. In late summer this area is full of large campers.

918_Eureka.jpg

To continue you should lock your hubs and shift into four wheel drive. From here the Animas River valley becomes a canyon.

915_AnimasForksTrail.jpg

There are mines all over these mountains but most are no longer operating.
KingSolomonMt.jpg

910_AnimasRiver.jpg

A few miles further you reach Animas Forks ghost town.
0056AnimasForks.jpg
It always amazes me that people built a town up here so high in the mountains and stayed here year round.

As you can see there is still plenty of snow in June.
0046_AnimasForks.jpg

0031_AnimasForksBW.jpg
There is even a two story house with a bay window.
0025_BayWindowHouseinAnimasForksMedium.jpg

You have to be careful if you go into these houses. Many floor boards are missing and the ones that are still there can break easily.

From Animas Forks I headed toward Engineer Pass. A bulldozer plows the trail but it wasn't clear all the way to the pass. I found this Toyota off the trail.

0059ToyotaStuck.jpg

Two of his tires went off the trail and he tried to get back on by backing up. He ended up making it worse.

On the way down I went through Animas Forks again and saw this YJ off the trail.
0060XJStuck.jpg
The trail was narrow because of the snowbank. From the tracks I could tell the Jeep slid sideways as soon as the left 2 tires came off the trail. It must have been scary wondering if the Jeep would stop before it would roll over.
It may not sound like it but these are some easy trails in the summer. It's just that the snow drifts have made some trails very narrow.

Now I am thinking I need to find a place to camp. I head back toward Silverton for lower altitudes. I now consider 10,000 feet low altitude. I head up into Minnie Gulch. I know I am the first to make it up this trail when I blast through a couple of snow drifts. One snow drift takes me 3 tries. Then I get to get to this tree.
0078MinnieGulchtreeMedium.jpg
I saw it half way through and pull with my CJ until it broke. I decide this is where I want to camp. I always like the side trails the best. They are further away from people and that's why I head for the mountains.
Here is another picture of Minnie Gulch:
0075_minnie_gulch__small.jpg

Sunday I took Cinnamon Pass.

This is the view of Niagara Peak on the way to Cinnamon Pass.
902_NiagraPk.jpg

The bulldozer has cleared the path.

854CinnamonPassSnow.jpg

This is now clear all the way to Lake City but I didn't go that far. As soon as the trail turned into a 2WD road I turned around.
This picture is of American Basin. Later in the summer you can park in American Basin and climb Handies Peak. It's over 14,000 feet high.
865_AmericanBasinCJ5Large.jpg
If you're interested driving these trails check out the http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/jeep-cj-com-colorado-trail-ride-6722/

Last edited:
I also found this old cabin in Minnie Gulch. I thought it was kinda cool.
20111MinnieGulchCabin.jpg

MinnieGulchCabinInterior.jpg
I used HDR software to modify the picture of the interior of the cabin.

:notworthy: Great pic's and trail report. :notworthy:

Being into photography myself, I gotta say you take great photos :notworthy:
Really tell a story!

Dave, the only thing keeping my envy under control is the thought that 12 weeks ago you were under 12' of snow and it was colder than a witches brass monkey on a well digger.
great pictures, thanks.:chug:

Dave, the only thing keeping my envy under control is the thought that 12 weeks ago you were under 12' of snow and it was colder than a witches brass monkey on a well digger.
great pictures, thanks.:chug:
In town here in Durango we have a mild winter. If I go lower in elevation to Farmington they rarely get snow.

:notworthy:

Beautiful!!!

:chug:

~ JR

I believe that's where CW McCalls one album cover with the 2 Jeeps was shot at. Great pictures and stories Dave, thanks for sharing and keep 'em comin'.

Looks like those old ghost town folks might have ate a lot of beans. Not many trees around for firewood and it doesn't look to be much cover for critters. Don'tcha wish you had a time machine to pop back in time and see what life was really like.

So does the state pay for the bulldozers to open up those roads or is that federal land? And I suppose snowmobiles are required necessities for living in Silverton.

awesome lookin pictures, i wish i was going with you guys this year, but i'll be there soon, (when shes up and running) but keep those pictures coming. I may hire you to take my pictures for me :D:D

those really looks awesome

I believe that's where CW McCalls one album cover with the 2 Jeeps was shot at.
500x500xcover-cw_mccall.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pinjxxRBZe.jpg

Not sure where the pic was shot but it looks like around here. The song is about Black Bear Road that we will be taking on the Jeep-CJ trail ride into Telluride.
Someone else posted this video but here it is again:
LiveLeak.com - Black Bear Road - A Jeep Adventure with CW McCall
Looks like those old ghost town folks might have ate a lot of beans. Not many trees around for firewood and it doesn't look to be much cover for critters. Don'tcha wish you had a time machine to pop back in time and see what life was really like.
Although there are a few trees around Animas Forks Ghost Town it's not many since it's at the tree line.
And yes I often wonder what it was like in these mountain towns over a hundred years ago.
So does the state pay for the bulldozers to open up those roads or is that federal land?
Every spring the county clears the trails of snow. By spring I mean June. It's not until July that some trails such as Black Bear pass are cleared of snow.
Bulldozers go to the county line but Telluride doesn't do a very good job of clearing the trails of snow. I'm not even sure they like having off-roaders come over the mountain to their town. On the other hand silverton and Ouray welcome us with open arms.

And I suppose snowmobiles are required necessities for living in Silverton.

Silverton is a small town. If you can't drive you can easily walk across town (might need your snowshoes in winter)
The real problem is getting into and out of Silverton in winter. Highway 550 has more avalanches than any other section of highway in the US. For that reason the winter population drops to just 15% of the population in the summer. Hwy 550 sometimes gets closed for weeks at a time in winter.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks