Build Thread Mild '80 CJ7 Build

Build Thread Mild '80 CJ7 Build

Jackpine877

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ7, 258 I6, SR4,D300, D44R 4.11RP , D30F 4.11RP
Gentlemen (& assumingly ladies?) I'll be posting progress, likely some questions and other drivel here as I start out on my first CJ7 rebuild. So if your reading this you'll likely want to know what we're starting with and where I see it going.

Our bones if you will is a "lightly" modified 1980 CJ7. Tub is late production fiberglass and in relatively good shape. Frame is in OK shape but partially boxed in. PO informed me it had been in decent shape however began developing a bit of cancer around the rear humps and was then boxed in starting mid frame and going all the way back with 3/16"(?) plate by the PPO. It is straight and seems solid enough for my purposes which will just be a mild trail rig.

PPO was also one for lift it seems. Long shackles and lifter springs give ~4.5" lift on the suspension along with a whopping ~3" of body lift. So yes shes tall, probably too tall for short track axles and will need to come down a tad. To mitigate this the PO has added 2" of aluminum spacers to each corner also converting it to a chevy 6 bolt pattern. Shes rolling on 33x12.5R15's on those rad early '90s silverado alloys. Needless to say the spacers and the wheels are out. I'd like to keep the tires as they only have a few miles on them, so I'll likely be needing some advice on how to cram these guys in without too extreme of an offset.

Drivetrain is going to be the initial focus as its essentially bone stock. Corp 20 rear, Dana 30 front, SR4 gearbox, D300TC and the venerable 258I6 getting everything spinning. Here's the plan as of now.

Front to back;

-Dana 30 will be getting a good cleaning and a re-gear to match the rear. Have not decided if it will be worth adding a traction device or not. Would like full detroit front and a lunchbox/posi rear, have heard good things on this combo.

-The 258 will be getting a head gasket, a little port polishing & the MORE bombproof motor mounts this week, otherwise its a great running motor. There is talk of the Howell FI conversion however.

-Trans swap is between the T18/19 & the Muncie SR465. Possibly the turbo400 if I decide to go the auto route.

-The D300TC is dirty and a little leaky but that's how god intended them to be. Its rock solid and in good working order. A brisk cleaning and a new seal &/or gasket and she'll be good to go.

-Corp 20 is hanging there but on the outs. I've acquired a farm fresh Dana 44 from a '71 HD Jeepster and am in the process of rebuilding it now. 30 spline solid axles will likely stay no need to replace good old iron. Gearing will be changed to 4.27 or 4.56 to keep up with the 33's. As far as traction im on the fence and am open to suggestions. Friends are saying ARB front and rear, however I don't bleed cash and this is a "mild" build and a weekend warrior.

Wow this is getting long..I apologize. Please feel free to take a smoke break.

So anyway..here's the rest of whats getting chucked.

Wiring, fuel and brake plumbing & steering are all getting replaced and/or upgraded. As it sits it has manual steering & manual brakes (brakes aren't so bad but lines have more kinks than a pride festival) . Steering to me will be a strong upgrade as I do like to feel my arms after a day of wheeling. Also, I plan on replacing the harness in its entirety for a number of reasons if not to just eliminate the hundreds of splices.

So there it is. Hopefully that long winded rambling made sense. I will update here with progress as it comes along. Seeing as this will be quite involved with a number of sub projects I'll do my best to keep everything relevant and (somewhat) organized. Of course pics to follow. Cheers boys.

Sweet dude sounds like a great build, I would also toss the body lift, you should be able to fit the 33s with just the lift springs. I’m not sure what kind of back spacing you need with narrow track axles tho.

Gentlemen (& assumingly ladies?) I'll be posting progress, likely some questions and other drivel here as I start out on my first CJ7 rebuild. So if your reading this you'll likely want to know what we're starting with and where I see it going.

Sounds like an interesting project - be sure to post up pics as you go. Als - When you have a specific question, consider posting the question in the appropriate forum - you'll likely get a wider audience...

Seeing as this will be quite involved with a number of sub projects I'll do my best to keep everything .......... (somewhat) organized.

Now you're gonna just make the rest of us look bad if you do this.....

(brakes aren't so bad but lines have more kinks than a pride festival)

LMAO

Welcome aboard - glad you're here.......

Just a short update. CJ build has taken a bit of a turn, as these things often do. It looks like we'll be doing a bit of motor work after some closer inspection. Apparently we have a bit of a mix mash of parts going on here. A nasty little head gasket leak drew my attention and long story short we have a '94 dated 4.0 block with a 4.2L head. Which explains a few things in terms of performance and obviously the head gasket leak.

So for now this is the updated plan. We are going to tackle the motor before moving along with the rest of the build.

- 4.0L Head to replace the 4.2L head
- Intake manifold from Clifford Performance & 4bbl adapter. Yes we're keeping it on a carb. No time or patience to strip the EFI from a donor right now. Plus I like simplicity. It should still make ample power.
- Holley extreme 4x4 carb. The 470cfm tuned down quite a bit. (Maybe)
- Possibly a slightly more aggressive cam.
- Header
- MSD ignition. Mostly from what my buddy and I have lying around. May change up the distributor not sure yet.
-New timing set

Most of the parts are on the way so I should have another update and hopefully some pictures for you guys soon.

They’re small, but they’re there..... nice CJ - I like the color!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks