Clutch Looking for a heavy duty clutch

Clutch Looking for a heavy duty clutch

PapaSmerf

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 304, Renegade
I have a 79 CJ5, 304, and use it to plow my place up here in Wyoming.
I am looking for a strong clutch and all the fixings that can handle the beating.
Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks, PapaSmerf

Solution
Ayuh,..... I believe the difference 'tween the 2 clutches above are, the top one is organic faced, 'n the race clutch is ceramic faced,....

That said, I agree with CJ, as back in my Truckin' days, I remember that an organic clutch can be slipped abit to get movin', while the ceramic clutches are either engaged,.... or not,.....

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Thank you CJ for your response, much appreciated.
As you know, life up here in Wyoming requires a special type of attitude and I want my Jeep to be as tough as our winters are.
PapaSmerf

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
hey guys, I'm new here and joined specifically to get this question answered. I've recently stroked my '82 scrambler with 4:56 gears and 37' tires. I remember a few years back with a new clutch and a truck load of passengers, my clutch slipped and started to smoke. I don't want this happening again, especially with the increased torque of the 4.6.

Can you be more specific on your Centerforce clutch suggestions? My truck is mostly on the street but sees some awesome mud in Southwest, FL

:welcome: @Crockodotsky

I'm guessing you 4.6 is originally a 258cid 4.2L I6. I would use the organic disk and the heavy duty pressure plate. I would not use the dual friction disk as they can chatter a lot on engagement. There are kits available at several online vendors. Don't forget a new pilot and throw out bearing and get the flywheel turned for a fresh, clean surface for the disk.

Disk -->> https://www.centerforce.com/product/centerforce-i-ii-384180-0005?gfid=p266098-c542152

258d1.jpg

PP -->> https://www.centerforce.com/product/centerforce-i-cf361675-0338?gfid=p256097-c529651

258pp.jpg

Thank you CJ for your response, much appreciated.
As you know, life up here in Wyoming requires a special type of attitude and I want my Jeep to be as tough as our winters are.
PapaSmerf
Winter in your part of the state must be worse than mine in converse county. Welcome neighbor some hundreds of miles removed.

I have an old center force gold clutch which is the organic clutch, works great

I
Had the dual friction on my old truck, it was organic on one side ceramic on the other, it always felt like it was engaged or not, sure was a sweet clutch for doing burnouts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks