Locker ID help

Locker ID help

Flex BT

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7. I6, Weber 38/38 with TEAMRUSH upgrade. T5, Dana 300TC, Dana 30 / AMC 20, True trac w/ 4.10s. 33" All terrains

Blue and rust colored.
Can anyone help ID this locker from the one picture the guy sent me? It doesn't exactly match any photos I've seen. It's in a Dana 30 front

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/re4Ly"><a href="//imgur.com/re4Ly"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You are right it doesn't look like any one locker shown in the Locker thread. A little like a couple different units. Looking forward to the ideas.

Dana-Spicer Power-lock . usually written Powr-Lok

Last edited:
There it is, it's a power-lok

Rats, a clutch LSD, I was hoping for a locker. Anybody have any experience with the Power-Lok?

I'm still getting this axle set. I upgraded my rear AMC20 to one piece, True Trac 4.10 and found that it's too low for my 33" tires. I'm in 4th gear by the time I'm doing 25. I was getting ready to regear the front axle to match and this pair of 3.73 axles came up on craigslist. Dana 44 rear, Trac-loc LSD and Dana 30 with the Power Lok. As long as it will get me through the snow and some light trail riding I'll be good.

The powr-lok is a good strong proven unit. As far as service in the front differential and steering, etc I will defer to folks more knowledgable on the subject. mike

Rats, a clutch LSD, I was hoping for a locker. Anybody have any experience with the Power-Lok?

I'm still getting this axle set. I upgraded my rear AMC20 to one piece, True Trac 4.10 and found that it's too low for my 33" tires. I'm in 4th gear by the time I'm doing 25. I was getting ready to regear the front axle to match and this pair of 3.73 axles came up on craigslist. Dana 44 rear, Trac-loc LSD and Dana 30 with the Power Lok. As long as it will get me through the snow and some light trail riding I'll be good.

Jack up one wheel, and put a torque wrench on the lug nut of the lifted wheel. Make sure both hubs are engaged since it's in the front.
If the wheel turns at anything less than 40 ft/lb. of torque. The PL needs a new set of clutches.
You also must use the special additive for clutch type LSD in your gear oil.
It's a very good LSD. ;)
Excellent choice for the front end. Better unit than the trac-loc could ever be.
LG

Last edited:
I have to agree with Lumpy
that is a great LSD, if you were hoping for a full locker I will ask do you really need a locker? I mean we are dealing with running antique vehicles here, and how much abuse are you willing to do to it?

Flex, I just passed on a Dana 44 with one of these units in it because if you get one wheel off the ground it doesnt put power to the one still on the ground. As mentioned, it depends on what kind of wheeling you typically do though.

Flex, I just passed on a Dana 44 with one of these units in it because if you get one wheel off the ground it doesnt put power to the one still on the ground. As mentioned, it depends on what kind of wheeling you typically do though.

That says the clutches are dead.
That is not how they work when new, and the correct oil additive is used.
You can 'fool' a PL by a little brake pedal pressure also.
LG

I once had a power loc installed in my Dana 30. I have heard adding an extra clutch disk would improve its operation. When on the trail in slippery spots, I was able to get some more bite by applying a little brake to lock it up. I eventually went to an ARB and have been quite satisfied with it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks