Locker advice

Locker advice

jmbridges

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj7, amc 258, t176, Dana 30
I am now almost 2 years into my 81 CJ7 rebuild, and it's coming along slowly but surely. Working on the rear axle now, installing moser one piece axles and I have started to think about the rear differential. I knew I was going to probably have to regear- original ratio was 2.73:1 - and with 33's that is not going to be drivable, unless the PO regeared when he put the 33s on. I didn't get to drive it long enough when I bought it to tell, though will see when I get in there.

Anyway, that got me to thinking about lockers as well.

I don't plan on rock crawling, just some routine off roading, maybe get into some mud now and then. This will also not be a daily driver, but i would like to take it out cruising from time to time.

From the research I have done on here and other places, it seems like a LSD might serve me best. I am thinking about the Detroit truetrac. Any thoughts about that vs a true locker? I don't think I want the expense and complexity of a selectable. Also, do I need both front and rear? Thanks much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been very pleased with my Trutracs. You'll need a new carrier for the rear anyway, so that lowers the marginal cost of the TT.

As long as I keep the tires on the ground, they all pull. And it drives the same on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 'locker' and an LSD are not the same. :rolleyes:
FWIW: I've been very happy with my front and rear DL's.
LG

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I know a locker and an LSD are different . That's part of the reason I need some advice - not sure which I need. Based on what I have read, LSD seems like it might be better for what I need, but I'm a newbie, so WTH do I know. Just wanted some real world advice on both. LG, how are the roads manners with the DLs? Is yours a DD? I take it from both your replies that having front and back is a good idea?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Yes a DD. The rear DL has a quirks for sure and after 25 plus years of have'n it in, I don't even think about it. In a tight turn, the DL 'drives' from the inside wheel so a 'chip' of the tire is kinda normal.
I do get reminded after my wife or kids drive it on the street....LOL
If I lived in snow country, I would have installed Power-Loc LSD, front and rear.
LG

...not sure which I need. Based on what I have read, LSD seems like it might be better for what I need, but I'm a newbie, so WTH do I know. I take it from both your replies that having front and back is a good idea?
IMHO: On a Jeep CJ that will see no street snow/ice, the Detroit lockers would be fine. If you are willing to accept the 'quirks' that LG stated. If you put a Detroit locker in the front, don't run on hard pavement with the front hubs locked.

I run ARB's front/rear in my 76 CJ5, because I want the road manners of open differentials, with the capability to fully lock either front, rear, or both when necessary.

The one piece axles are a definite 'must'. I have Moser's in my AMC20. I would also recommend welding the axle tubes to the housing.

If money is no object I like Electric lockers front and rear.
When on a budget I go (lunch box locker in the front) True trac in the rear.
I have had both and for those are the best for street manners in my opinion.

Aorry to jump in with a question, but I have a lunch box locker and wondered if I should put it in the rear or not. As a DD, is that going to be bad? A lot of clicking as I drive and chirping around corners? Any other drawbacks?

If I just have the one locker, and it is a lunchbox, should it go in the front? I do hit the trails a couple of times a year and run blues but want to do more rocks. AND still use it as a DD. Thanks for your thoughts.

Do you have stock 2 piece rear shafts?
If so I would install the locker in the front.
If the answer is no, I would install it in the rear.
When you climb offroad all the weight is in the rear where a locker would help.
You have a long wheel base Jeep your not going to feel much.
My 77 CJ7 has spartans front and rear and the only time I feel the rear is backing up while turning sharp and once in awhile slowly turning going forward.
Although a lot of highway driving, I ran it from Colorado Springs to Ouray (about 5.5 hours) last year without any locker issues. I will again be running it from Colorado Springs to Moab next month.
I feel the Detroit more in my short nose 71, but still not bad enough that I would change it.

Thanks. I have 1 piece axle shafts in the rear. So I will continue with my plan of throwing it in the rear.

IMHO: If you put a Detroit locker in the front, don't run on hard pavement with the front hubs locked.
The one piece axles are a definite 'must'. I have Moser's in my AMC20. I would also recommend welding the axle tubes to the housing.

There is no issue with the hubs engaged on hard surface with a true DL in the front, if there's no power to the front DS.
Same as flat towing with a DL in the rear.
:chug:

'Lunch-box lockers have the same 'manners' as a DL does on the street.
It's just that they ain't anywhere near as strong as a true DL.
LG

I'll complicate this a bit...

Those of us with a Quadratrac should be fine using Truetrac's front and rear, on-road as we have "slip" in the TC (provided case is not in e-drive).

I can tell you that in my bronco I currently have a lunchbox locker in the front and open in the rear.
I wish I would have put the locker in the rear.
I dont really like the front locked in the snow which is where I do a lot a wheeling.
For my CJ Im doing the opposite and going locker in the rear.
CJ will be more for rocks!

Thanks for the advice all, gives me something to think about. I still think an LSD is probably going to work best for me. We don't get much snow here in Alabama, but when we do, it is a cluster. Would like to be able to get out in the jeep and get my milk and bread . Who knows, I may get into the diff and find a locker and new gears already in there. I hope to open up the rear this weekend, so if I see something that doesn't look stock, I'll post some pics and maybe someone can tell me what I have!

I can tell you that in my bronco I currently have a lunchbox locker in the front and open in the rear.
I wish I would have put the locker in the rear.
I dont really like the front locked in the snow which is where I do a lot a wheeling.
For my CJ Im doing the opposite and going locker in the rear.
CJ will be more for rocks!

In snow country(I'm from Colorado)I suggest a LSD and not a true 'locker'.
LG

Thanks for the advice all, gives me something to think about. I still think an LSD is probably going to work best for me. We don't get much snow here in Alabama, but when we do, it is a cluster. Would like to be able to get out in the jeep and get my milk and bread . Who knows, I may get into the diff and find a locker and new gears already in there. I hope to open up the rear this weekend, so if I see something that doesn't look stock, I'll post some pics and maybe someone can tell me what I have!

I though milk sandwiches were just an NC thing!

While you have the rear opened, look for the gear ratio/tooth count stamped into the outer face of the ring gear to verify ratio. Much easier than counting all those teeth.

I though milk sandwiches were just an NC thing!

While you have the rear opened, look for the gear ratio/tooth count stamped into the outer face of the ring gear to verify ratio. Much easier than counting all those teeth.
So after much cursing and gnashing of teeth, I was finally able to get into the rear diff today. Unfortunately, I did not see the ratio stamped on the ring gear. The only thing I saw stamped on the gear looked like "154". See pics below.

I think this is probably stock and is supposed to be 2.73:1 ratio. I didn't see an easy way to count the teeth without taking everything out, though eventually I will be taking it out. Anyone got any ideas if this is the stock ring and pinion?

Along those lines, I am thinking about 4.10 gears as a replacement. Thoughts on that ratio? I have 33s, rebuilding my 258, have a new 4.0 head for it and planning to add fuel injection. Thanks.17cb82ccfde239cc1b0f8be4242cc9ab.jpgffde35bdfa19fe18ad0870b9ed48a1c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

In my opinion 4:10 gears without an overdrive, will put your highway rpms a bit on the high side, even with a 33" tire. On the trail, they work quite well. I highway cruise at around 60 mph at 3000 rpm. That is with 28 p.s.i. in the tires for a fairly decent ride.

Thanks. I have 1 piece axle shafts in the rear. So I will continue with my plan of throwing it in the rear.

I have a Lock Right locker in the rear and is pretty well behaved on the street.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks