Lock or not?

Lock or not?

Grumpa

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ5, 232ci, three speed, dana 20.
Help me decide.
Many years ago, over 25, I had a '63 CJ5 that was basically stock except for maybe a 2-2.5" lift and a poorly mounted Chevy 283. I had a lot of fun in that Jeep but I had neither a winch or any lockers at all. Always ran the stock open diffs. and carried a shovel and Hi-Lift jack. Like I said, I had a lot of fun back then.
Fast forward 25 odd years and now I've got a basically stock '74 CJ5 with the 232ci engine, with nothing but a 2.5" suspension lift. Springs and shocks, Rough Country. Still getting her road/trail worthy and should have her on her feet by March at the latest.
My dilemma? I don't want to put too much $$ into my little Jeep and don't intend on doing any real serious 'wheelin BUT I also don't want to spend too much time digging my way out of a bind either. Getting too old for that stuff!
So, my question is; should I simply put a decent locker in the rear and call it good? Should I spend that money on a winch and a better way to mount a shovel on my Jeep? OR, rather than choose between those two, would I be safe with something along the lines of a Detroit Locker in the rear and maybe a lunchbox in the front, skipping the winch?
Your thoughts?

PS: I know this isn't the first time this has been asked here but try and humor me. ; )

Living in CO I drive on snow and ice covered streets so I have kept my diffs open. Lockers on ice and snow can be a hair raising drive so I run a winch. I do just fine wheeling in the mountains it just makes you a better driver.

A good clutch type LSD in the rear and front. will put a huge smile on your face.
I ran a Power-Loc LSD in the front of my CJ7 till I got a true locker(D/L)and that LSD worked very well.
LG

There will be a time when you are out on a Jeep trip and find yourself looking straight up a cliff that has tire marks on it with no go around. I have been out with guys getting a tire up in the air, it starts spinning, comes down and bang!

I run a Detroit TrueTrac torsen Limited slip locker on the front and would trade out my E-locker for one in the rear. Torsen Limited slips do not use clutch plates and basically never wear out.

Remember, the world really is the same as it was when you were young, you can go most anywhere with what you have, if you come to a vertical wall it never hurts to back up and find a smarter way. Yes, I know it seems to be popular these days to tear the life out of your rig to prove something, but really you are old enough to know better than to tear your vehicle up for nothing.

There will be a time when you are out on a Jeep trip and find yourself looking straight up a cliff that has tire marks on it with no go around. I have been out with guys getting a tire up in the air, it starts spinning, comes down and bang!

I think it really depends on just where and what you do with your CJ and knowing just what you can and can't do with it so you can get home. Although I and a fan of some sort of traction device especially if you change gears.

Living in CO I drive on snow and ice covered streets so I have kept my diffs open. Lockers on ice and snow can be a hair raising drive so I run a winch. I do just fine wheeling in the mountains it just makes you a better driver.
I'm really thinking this.

Remember, the world really is the same as it was when you were young, you can go most anywhere with what you have, if you come to a vertical wall it never hurts to back up and find a smarter way. Yes, I know it seems to be popular these days to tear the life out of your rig to prove something, but really you are old enough to know better than to tear your vehicle up for nothing.

When we were young we could hit every trail with our "BIG" 33" tires with only one or no lockers. Now people hit those same trails and think they are not passable without 38's and full front and rear lockers. I feel lockers are useful but will really just get you further into the suck before you get even more stuck. With a winch you at least have a fighting chance to get out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks