Steering Key Release Lever Woes

Steering Key Release Lever Woes

JeepCJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'81 CJ5 - 258, D300, AMC20, D30
Hey guys,
I am trying to tackle the most annoying thing on my Jeep over the past six years I have owned it - my key release lever.

I have read through the posts I can find, but have not really seen any answers. A few of them have links, but they seem to be dead.

Can I bypass the key release lever entirely? I have an '81 CJ5 with a factory tilt column.

Right now, I have to turn the key to the off position. Then turn key back to the on position. Then reach through the steering wheel with my left hand and grab the key. Then jiggle the key release lever wildly with my right hand while attempting to turn the lock cylinder to the off position and extract my key. It has been this way since I bought the jeep 6 years ago.

I have replaced the lock cylinder a while back.

I understand that if I bypass the key release, then I should remove the lock pin that locks the steering wheel. I have no problem with that.

Currently, the column is still in the Jeep and I have everything off down to the point where you can remove and replace the cylinder. There is a plastic shroud that covers the key release lever mechanism. I do not see any way to remove this shroud. Do I need to remove the column to get this shroud off?

I am not really interested in replacing the column. I suppose if there is no way to bypass the lever, then I will remove the lock cylinder entirely and install a dash mounted ignition key although I hate to drill holes in the dash panel.

I am also not really interested in trying to get the lever working as original either - I am sure that over time it would start binding again.

If anyone has accomplished this task, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for any tips, links, or ideas!
Justin

Solution
Just to close the loop: I can confirm that if you remove the key release lever from the steering column, you can remove the key no problem in the off position. It is still retained in the on/start and Aux positions. I did also remove the turning lock since the apparent concern is that if you accidentally shut off the motor and remove the key while driving 80 on the highway (who am I kidding? maybe 65? :) , now you can't steer.

I plan on hiding a kill switch that kills the hot wire to my EFI fuel pump for theft prevention.

Of course, you have to disassemble the column completely in order to remove the key release lever. In my case, I removed the column and did it on the bench, taking time to sandblast rusty parts and repaint them. Of...
It requires disassembly of the entire top half of the column to remove the key release spring and lever. Never done it, and pictures of it aren't very clear to see

It requires disassembly of the entire top half of the column to remove the key release spring and lever. Never done it, and pictures of it aren't very clear to see
PITA for sure! I installed a push button start setup and no longer use a key at all.

Yes, I have gone through the YT videos I can find on steering column disassembly, but none look like mine and none show removing that shroud. I don't see what is holding it on.

I'm getting a retinal scanner, thumb print verification and when I sit down a needle will jab me in the A BAD WORD and take a blood sample for DNA verification before my vehicle starts...lol
Seriously I'm doing a push-to-start and key to unlock steering, will have theft deterrent that will not be easily accessed for bypass, but will have a redundant bypass to the theft deterrent in another location to prevent my own inability to drive it should something fail. Paranoid much...not really, but my Jeep will never have doors(tube doors maybe) or a top, so a little theft prevention is in order.
Since my CJ7 when done will be 95% beach runner, and without doors/top I'm installing a center lockbox to house small valuables and ignition key. That specialty key will be on a necklace for me to wear and a hidden spare on the vehicle. Sounds like a lot of hassle, but once in place, pretty routine.
And since I'm wiring the entire Jeep, it will be part of that process, theft deterrent will involve a remote control for a solenoid, remote will be left in the lock box along with ignition key, wallet, wife's purse, etc, and I'm usually in a pretty well seen and very public parking area.
To answer the question better, start taking it apart with the possibility of replacing the entire column, I actually want my key release lever operational.

My push button uses a fob like a modern car does. Bought a kit on Amazon for about $50. It gives you keyless push button start, remote start (great on cold mornings, but need an auto trans or leave a manual in neutral) and an alarm. So when topless/doorless, no issue. Just kill engine and walk off, or click fob button to arm the alarm if wanted. It even came with a vibration sensor to detect knocks/vibration (someone climbing in, etc) and disables the ignition from hot wire attempts too. Better than just a push button in the ignition wire anyone can jump in and press, or worrying with a "secret" key somewhere in the vehicle or on a chain around your neck to potentially lose at the beach. Now I do have a locking center console and the key for that is on my fob.

My push button uses a fob like a modern car does. Bought a kit on Amazon for about $50. It gives you keyless push button start, remote start (great on cold mornings, but need an auto trans or leave a manual in neutral) and an alarm. So when topless/doorless, no issue. Just kill engine and walk off, or click fob button to arm the alarm if wanted. It even came with a vibration sensor to detect knocks/vibration (someone climbing in, etc) and disables the ignition from hot wire attempts too. Better than just a push button in the ignition wire anyone can jump in and press, or worrying with a "secret" key somewhere in the vehicle or on a chain around your neck to potentially lose at the beach. Now I do have a locking center console and the key for that is on my fob.
I think I'd be more worried about losing a fob than a key around my neck lol, but I plan on doing something similar to what you did, just not a remote start, just a remote kill switch, they can push the button till their finger falls off, won't do anything until I activate it.

I think I'd be more worried about losing a fob than a key around my neck lol, but I plan on doing something similar to what you did, just not a remote start, just a remote kill switch, they can push the button till their finger falls off, won't do anything until I activate it.
The hidden/secret kill switch is a good idea. For my fob when at the beach, it's with my wallet, cell phone, etc. I don't keep it on me in the water. But would be a problem if I lost it for sure. My bigger reason for doing it is that my truck has a fob. I'm used to jumping in/out without having to pull a key from my pocket or remove the key from the ignition when I park somewhere. But then in the Jeep, I would climb in and then have to wrestle the key from my pocket after bucking the seat belt because I forgot, or worse yet, stop somewhere and jump out, leaving the key in the ignition. So now with the fob, no matter which vehicle I'm in, it's the same - fob in pocket and just jump in/out and hit the button.

Just to close the loop: I can confirm that if you remove the key release lever from the steering column, you can remove the key no problem in the off position. It is still retained in the on/start and Aux positions. I did also remove the turning lock since the apparent concern is that if you accidentally shut off the motor and remove the key while driving 80 on the highway (who am I kidding? maybe 65? :) , now you can't steer.

I plan on hiding a kill switch that kills the hot wire to my EFI fuel pump for theft prevention.

Of course, you have to disassemble the column completely in order to remove the key release lever. In my case, I removed the column and did it on the bench, taking time to sandblast rusty parts and repaint them. Of course this led me down the rabbit hole of "Since I went this far, why not finish the job". I ended up replacing the bearings both top and bottom of the column, replacing the steering shaft with a Borgeson unit and finally replacing my sway bar bushings (removing the sway bar makes it easier to replace the steering shaft.

After reassembling it about half way on the bench, I did find it to be easier to install the column in the jeep and then finish up. For example, trying to assemble the terribly designed open frame ball bearings onto the shaft on the bench proved to be difficult. It was much easier with the column installed.

Here is the best video I found on taking the GM style column apart. It does not show the key release lever, but it shows everything else in nice detail.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Solution

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks