Build Thread Jeep CJ for my daughters first car.

Build Thread Jeep CJ for my daughters first car.
Gettin real close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started it for the first time in more than a year yesterday. Ran good, but may need to go through the carb.....

Started it for the first time in more than a year yesterday. Ran good, but may need to go through the carb.....

Closing in on 2 weeks..... WHATS HAPPENING????? Where are the update pics????????????? We're getting impatient

i can imagine some young lady is getting pretty wound up about driving that jeep !

Okay. Sorry for the lul....gave up on the carter carb. Bought a Webber 32/36 kit had got it installed. Had issues with the linkage clearance with the brake booster like lots of others.
Flipped the bracket over and bent the bellcrank mount 180 degrees. This moves the bell rank closer to the carb and away from the booster. Had to shorten the rod between the bell rank and the throttle arm but works beautifully.

Been working on the hard top. It was in pretty rough shape. Something had fallen on it at one time and it had a large crack in it. Cleaned that up and fiberglassed it.

The bottom edge on one side had been beat up pretty bad and had to rebuild that.

“Painted” it with Duplicolor rattle can bed coating. Looks great! It took six cans! I painted the inside with rattle can white.

In its previous life the top had the bronze colored privacy glass. When I got it one side window and the rear hatch glass had been replaced with “regular” glass. They looked like they were cut windshields. They were laminated. Replaced the side glass with the correct bronze colored glass. Those of you thinking of replacing yours with this method, be aware, the side windows ARE NOT FLAT! They have a gentle curve to them and flat glass does not fit right and will leak.

The rear hatch has bad rust and had been fiberglassed to attempt a repair ( just like the floors had! Ugh!!) I got the glass out and peeled the fiberglass off. Then did the acid dip to remove the rust. I also cut the spot welds and separated the frame to get to the inside.

After the acid dip, there is NOTHING left. It’s beyond repair. Another Jeep part hits the metal bin. One less rear hatch in the world.
Found one on eBay with the bronze glass! Score!! These things are rarer than hens teeth! If you have a good one hold onto it! Protect it! Fill it with cavity wax to help keep the rust away!

Pictures coming.

Just for info. My daughter decided she does not want it! :-) We bought her a 79 square body short bed truck with a lift and several upgrades. She is happy and so am I!

sounds like the trade works out for everyone

Yes, yes it did! She is so proud of that old truck.

Thank you! Once it sets up nice and hard, I’ll color sand and buff it. Should shine like a diamond in a goats ***!

Just finished reading through your thread. I am about to restart my rebuild and I think I will take your comment about getting the whole side instead of trying to patch all the rust spots. Very nice build. Enjoy the :dung: out of it.:chug:

Thank you! Yes, if yours is as bad as mine was, just replace the entire side. TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN FITTING IT! It will not fit perfectly when you get it.
Before cutting to old side off, make you a jig for your door opening. Mount it from the front of the door opening to where the striker is located. Once the side are cut, the tub tends to “sag” and close up the door openings. I learned the hard way, even with the tub on a jig!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks